What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes .. **** happens .. I've lost one and it always leaves me sad and wondering what I did wrong or could I have done more.
Yes we know it happens and I expect to lose a few. These died of isolation starvation no doubt in my mind so there is not a lot I could have done... I suppose they ate themselves into a bottom corner when there was plenty of stores in the opposite corner.
Chin up....... think positive! All the other ones I was worried about looked very good. 😀

You reckon hanging a hive from a tree will work?
It does in Tanzania but you have to use wires, it keeps them busy for hours trying to work it out. They sit under the hive and think 'I know, I'll climb a tree to get them', they climb the tree, get out on a branch, look down at the hive and can't get at it so they think ' I know, I'll get down on the floor and get it......... keeps them occupied for hours apparently been having the debate all morning whilst setting up the new apiary in Mwamgongo on Lake Tanganyika - they want extra money for a spool of fencing wire!!

It does in Tanzania but you have to use wires, it keeps them busy for hours trying to work it out. They sit under the hive and think 'I know, I'll climb a tree to get them', they climb the tree, get out on a branch, look down at the hive and can't get at it so they think ' I know, I'll get down on the floor and get it......... keeps them occupied for hours apparently been having the debate all morning whilst setting up the new apiary in Mwamgongo on Lake Tanganyika - they want extra money for a spool of fencing wire!!
I can see the thinner wire working.... Can picture the poor guy pacing for hours in a circle underneath.....
I believe it would take days before the Badger will give up...

A kot of factors to take into account in places like Tanzania.... (depending where of course)
Elephants will also give that box a good whallop just to check what sounds it makes...
Baboons are also sometimes so Brave/stupid, they will tear the box open to get to the honey..
Ants, birds etc etc
Africa - Not always an easy place to live,,,, but we call it home...

Look for badger tracks in the snow ... not unheard of for these powerful creatures to have a go at a hive when they can't get to their usual diet of worms and other stuff they dig up ...
Badgers visit my allotments where I have hives. I have never had any problems with them. I looked after a garden once where they were a total nightmare. It was so bad that we had to electrify the fence around the vegetable garden perimeter!

No footprints maybe they are Ninja Badgers CGF.
Badgers visit my allotments where I have hives. I have never had any problems with them. I looked after a garden once where they were a total nightmare. It was so bad that we had to electrify the fence around the vegetable garden perimeter!
Went yesterday to put the entrance block back in, snow has gone and no badger tracks.
lots of Clensing flights yesterday.

Mild weather today and when the sun came out thousands of bees came pouring out of the garden hives filling the sky. Shame these cleansing flights cooincided with the washing being out on the line! Ground in front of the hives now covered in hundreds of dead workers chucked out by the undertaker bees (these have presumably died and accumulated on the floorboard since the last cleansing flight some weeks ago).
Saw the same with mine yesterday & undertakers busy. Fortunately no washing on the line. Back to a cold snap over the weekend.

I believe it would take days before the Badger will give up...
It does, that's the reason it's so popular, lost the battle on the latest project last night, I wanted them to use stands (50% of the participants are women so it makes inspections easier for them) Innocent and Ezai are on the ferry this morning on their way to Kigoma to shop for wire

A Lot of factors to take into account in places like Tanzania.... (depending where of course)
Elephants will also give that box a good whallop just to check what sounds it makes...
You say that, but if they do, they quickly scarper, when I did the scoping exercise for WWF a few years ago, part of my brief was investigating using 'bee fences' to protect crops from elephants, accompanying me on the trip was Dr Maria Montero who spends most of her time studying elephant/human conflict, most of the groups we visited when asked about the largest challenges would say 'Elephant, crocodile, baboon' in that order and what did I see when I was out there? a handful of goats, numerous chickens and a bloody tortoise! as Maria and I were saying her goodbyes, Marias mobile went, 'Guess what?' she said, 'You know that village we passed through yesterday? just got a load of elephants turned up in their gardens!!'.
Elephants do not like bees (has anyone here ever been stung up the nose by a bee? I'll say no more), it was noticed years ago that elephants tended not to forage in an area where there were lots of bee colonies in the trees; a bee fence is made by arranging your apiary with the hives suspended by wires , hammock style, between two poles, the hives are placed about eight metres apart and connected to each other by a loosely attached trip wire, elephant comes along, touches the trip wire which shakes the two nearest hives, bees make a bit of a buzz, Elephant thinks 'oh dear, could be in the kaka here' turns tail and scarpers, sounds daft but it is very effective and what is even more amazing is, the elephants then transmit the knowledge that the particular garden is a bit of a bee hazard, no go area to other elephants in the area and they all start steering clear of that area.
bee fence.jpgbee fence.jpg

It does, that's the reason it's so popular, lost the battle on the latest project last night, I wanted them to use stands (50% of the participants are women so it makes inspections easier for them) Innicent and Ezai are on the ferry this morning on their way to Kigoma to shop for wire

You say that, but if they do, they quickly scarper, when I did the scoping exercise for WWF a few years ago, part of my brief was investigating using 'bee fences' to protect crops from elephants, accompanying me on the trip was Dr Maria Montero who spends most of her time studying elephant/human conflict, most of the groups we visited when asked about the largest challenges would say 'Elephant, crocodile, baboon' in that order and what did I see when I was out there? a handful of goats, numerous chickens and a bloody tortoise! as Maria and I were saying her goodbyes, Marias mobile went, 'Guess what?' she said, 'You know that village we passed through yesterday? just got a load of elephants turned up in their gardens!!'.
Elephants do not like bees (has anyone here ever been stung up the nose by a bee? I'll say no more), it was noticed years ago that elephants tended not to forage in an area where there were lots of bee colonies in the trees; a bee fence is made by arranging your apiary with the hives suspended by wires , hammock style, between two poles, the hives are placed about eight metres apart and connected to each other by a loosely attached trip wire, elephant comes along, touches the trip wire which shakes the two nearest hives, bees make a bit of a buzz, Elephant thinks 'oh dear, could be in the kaka here' turns tail and scarpers, sounds daft but it is very effective and what is even more amazing is, the elephants then transmit the knowledge that the particular garden is a bit of a bee hazard, no go area to other elephants in the area and they all start steering clear of that area.
View attachment 24141View attachment 24141
Fascinating,,,, thank you for sharing...
A few years ago several folks were experiencing problems with misbehaving young elephants up country. (Youngsters had been removed/captured from culled herds) These had been purchased for private game farms and reserves etc etc... Turns out Everyone underestimated the impact the Matriarch has on bringing up young animals... Almost all animals i believe turned out to be naughty buggers, no fear for humans, tore down buildings, destroyed vehicles - all in the name of fun...
Point being - I can fully understand and completely believe this "Beware of Bees" knowledge would be passed on from one generation to the next...
Elephants are truly amazing and very intelligent animals...

Its us humans that battle to learn from our mistakes......

Once again. thank you for sharing, really enjoy hearing about things like this....
You're welcome around my camp fire anytime...

Nice to see all hives and nucs flying today even the two that we thought wouldn't survive the winter.
Just a heads up keep an eye on your nucs I'm adding fondant to some lighter ones tomorrow all main hives are good
Winter isn't over yet and we are due some more snow on Sunday possibly.

February can be one of the coldest months and so far we have had quite a bit of snow locally.

Who would live on a hill :)

Last edited:
After yesterday's disappointment with losing a hive today has been great. I've been quickly popping the CB in almost balmy temps, (13deg) to assess stores, removing fondant when not needed and adding when needed.
Almost all done and all I inspected looking very good. In fact one was too good, 10 frames of bees and a little on the light side so fondant added.
Pleased with the 10 overwintered nucs as well.
Fingers crossed the good news continues.

Last edited:
We put this up in the apiary field today. It has a Swienty roof

View attachment 24148View attachment 24149View attachment 24150

Is it a barn owl box? Our local Wild Life Trust sells similar, but triangular (sorry, no pic). Five years ago I put one up in a large oak tree in my apiary but have never seen anything use it so I've just placed a trail camera.
A month ago I climbed up to look inside for the first time: it was full to the brim with dried oak leaves! I've been advised to remove them - ?squirrels.

Another week with single figure temperatures here (4th in a row ) Nothing much doing. Hefted my two hives in my PJs. heavy enough. hope the bees in the polynuc are ok. Cut a hole in the feeder two weeks ago so fondant could go directly into frames.​

Completed two days of painting poly nucs and spare hive parts in Cuprinol Shades Somerset Green.

Is it a barn owl box? Our local Wild Life Trust sells similar, but triangular (sorry, no pic). Five years ago I put one up in a large oak tree in my apiary but have never seen anything use it so I've just placed a trail camera.
A month ago I climbed up to look inside for the first time: it was full to the brim with dried oak leaves! I've been advised to remove them - ?squirrels.
Yes a barn owl box.
With squirrels you have to go into the box twice a week and throw out all the bedding. They give up in the end.

This week I have done a lot in the 'virtual apiary' and it's been hard but the weather has been gloriously sunny with a sandy beach to relax on during breaks..............................
Tuesday saw the launch of a new Bees Abroad partnership project out in Tanzania, but with a difference, instead of us going out there playing the great white hope, it will be run by local trainers that we sponsored to go through the beekeeping institute at Tabora in Tanzania. But I will be advising and guiding from the comfort of my study ( :unsure: ) Mwamgongo is a remote fishing village on the shores of Lake Tanganyika and have asked us and the Tanzania Development Trust for help with their beekeeping. Innocent and Juma arrived there Tuesday and got to work, the carpenter has been instructed in hive building and has already made twenty hives - although we are still debating as to the construction of the roofs, unfortunately the tailor has turned around and suddenly decided he cannot make the bee suits so Innocent will have a trip tomorrow to Kigoma to sort out a new tailor. Meanwhile, back in the classroom, the teaching is going well. WhatsApp is a wonderful tool which allows us to communicate freely and exchange files/photographs.
Busy armchair beekeeping.

Latest posts

Back