What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only ever starved a colony once and it's a tragic sight when you see all those dead bees with their heads in the cells ... I feel for you.

Did the hive have insulation above the crown board ? Was it a small colony ? I've beaten myself up enough today having lost one of mine so I'm not encouraging you to borrow my hair shirt but is there anything that you could have done to allow them to be more mobile ? I find with my poly hives and insulation above the crownboards that the bees are active on the coldest days ... 14 x 12's are big hives for them to keep warm so everything you can do to assist helps.
It is a wooden hive with about 6 inches of foam insulation on top (under the roof). I just don't understand why they wouldn't move across the hive, but perhaps they lost the queen earlier in the season. I couldn't find her in the pile of dead. Maybe I just left them too much space to fill. Live and learn, eh?

Where do you obtain the clear crown boards from please?
There are polycarbonate suppliers all over the UK and some on line or on ebay. They will provide cut to size pieces but you will need to fabricate a rim if you want top bee space. Personally, I watch out at the local recycling centre for redundant polycarbonate shower screens and doors and a few pounds changes hands, they keep the aluminium frames and I get the polycarbonate bits. I have a table saw so easy for me to cut to size. It is possible to do it by hand.

Nothing much really, sat through the live streaming of Ricky Wilson's funeral, his life story always reads more like a chapter of 'boy's own' magazine. Then wandered up the home apiary to tell Number 5 queen - the direct supersedure descendant of the first ever queen I bought in - from Ricky, years ago.

Inspections today are revealing queens in full reverse mode, now the days are shortening here. Nasty weather most of the last week. Not too wet, particularly in the east, but cool and then very windy. Sky cleared last night and the temperature dropped to -4 in the high country and just 1 degree in the valleys, quite cool for summer.

One of my hives was very light so I popped the crownboard off to find sparse stores. I nicked a frame of stores from its neighbour and closed up as quickly as possible but unfortunately not before a few guards had found I was wearing jeans with some stretch. Why do they always go for my nether regions? :eek:

Last edited:
One of my hives was very light so I popped the crownboard off to find sparse stores. I nicked a frame of stores from its neighbour and closed up as quickly as possible but unfortunately not before a few guards had found I was wearing jeans with some stretch. Why do the always go for my nether regions? :eek:
OUCH!

I was wearing jeans with some stretch. Why do they always go for my nether regions? :eek:
Maybe you need to buy 'dancing cut' trousers as my grandmother (a tailor) used to call them, I questioned her on that once and she just said
'A bit more ballroom'

Checked fondants. Found one hive suffering from water ingress. With an eke for feeding and 50mm insulation, the bottom of the poly roof was just above the level of the crown board, which had started to delaminate. So did repairs with sealant and tape and replaced the poly roof with a much deeper home made one. Hope all will be well.

Cleaned five queen excluders with a newly purchased scraper tool I treated myself to. Worked really well, good purchase.
Ruined another pair of trousers kneeling on propolis and wax scraped off. When will I learn???

I can hear mine easily if I press my ear to the box. Even through a cosy over a wooden hive

Have you tried listening with a stethoscope? I tried a few years ago in the hope of avoiding bodily contortions, but couldn't hear a thing. Strange because I anticipated it would amplify the buzz.

I agree
My stethoscope is useless too.
I don't think you can press it snugly against the hive like you can against a soft living thing ;)

I agree
I don't think you can press it snugly against the hive like you can against a soft living thing ;)
I had most luck onto the crown board as I have the sides covered to deter woodpeckers. ( I'm sure it worked better last year)

I agree

You must be thinking of that marvellous classic Doctor in the House.

Doc (applying stethoscope): 'Big breaths'

Patient (lisping): 'Yesth, and I'm only sixteen...'

Last edited:
I agree
It works but if the bees are a fair distance away from the stethoscope, the sound waves won't penetrate the hive walls, You basically have to check multiple areas until you hear them - this also gives you an idea of the size and position of the cluster

Have you tried listening with a stethoscope? I tried a few years ago in the hope of avoiding bodily contortions, but couldn't hear a thing. Strange because I anticipated it would amplify the buzz.
You have to put a disc of hard material, smaller than the stethoscope end, between it and the hive. It will transmit the sound to the diaphram.

Back