What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked on the leatherwood flow and added boxes.

It was a tough day in the heat, but I got a chance to taste the fresh leatherwood. Wow!!

Attachments

• IMG_20210113_121928727.jpg
    IMG_20210113_121928727.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20210113_102127106 (1).jpg
    IMG_20210113_102127106 (1).jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
Snowed today so made a snowBoris (hence the "hair") with help from grandchild (childminding in our daughters bubble)
SnowBoris .JPG

Last edited:
Whipped the lid off to add some fondant and happy to see the girls clustered across five frames and took out varroa board which had two neat lines of wax capings.

A man from South Uist was asked for the Gaelic equivalent of mañana. He replied, I don't think we have anything to convey that degree of urgency.
We have Drectly!
New 1800W FULL SINE WAVE 4 stroke generator and the superfast delivery new Sublimox from Abello worked a treat.... only two out of 30 colonies sublimated today needed a top of of fondant... most of the little sweetie Cornish Amms were out flying... and down in the Looe apiary were bringing in pollen..... did not see a soul and only passed a couple of horse riders and a couple of doggie walkers... roads very quiet for a Friday afternoon!!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 18.33.04.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 18.33.04.png
    469.6 KB · Views: 22
Me and Alfie weighed a few colonys cleaned inspection boards and I took a picture of this colonys inspection board it's a 14x12 single brood.
It looks like ivy pollen and honey stores to me.
On the 15 th of December there was brood cappings on the inspection board this queen hasn't stopped laying, she did have a brood break in August last year.

IMG_20210116_134351.jpg
Thoughts.
Temp here is 9c and a calm day no snow on the ground.
Poly nucs have more activity than wooden nucs.

Last edited:
Went to look at a possible out apiary site. Good forage, sheltered from cold winds, sun most of the day. However, the landowners psycho goats means that the site is off the cards. Didn’t expect to have to wrestle with the goats to get safely back to the car!

Went to look at a possible out apiary site. Good forage, sheltered from cold winds, sun most of the day. However, the landowners psycho goats means that the site is off the cards. Didn’t expect to have to wrestle with the goats to get safely back to the car!
Sounds like you had an eventful day.
:icon_204-2:

Hefted, looked through the crownboards, lots of bees flying as it was a balmy 10 degrees and sunny down here on the Costa del Fareham.

Cracked the crownboard on the one colony I was worried about .. no heat coming up and no activity that I could see. It was a dead out .. small pile of bees on the floor, two full frames of stores at the back of the hive but not much at the front but no signs of bees with their heads in cells. No sign of the marked queen among the bodies and no sign of disease .. they tested low for varroa in September and they were fed athough they took less invert down than the other colonies. No sign of any brood although there was a frame of mostly pollen in there. No signs of Nosema but I've kept a sample of the dead bees and I will test tomorrow. Sad ... perhaps I should have looked in earlier moved the stores towards the front or added fondant. Having said that I suspect it's a case of a failing queen ... she was a Buckfast going into her third season so may have just run out of steam when there was a need for her to lay up winter bees. It looked fine going into Autumn but not as strong as my other colonies. No waxmoth in there. Who knows ? Cleaned the floor, removed the bodies and sealed it up. I'll give the frames a blast of Dipel tomorrow if there's no nosema in there and look to replace in spring.

Cracked the crown board of an 8 frame poly nuc I'm overwintering and pulled an empty frame out and replaced it with a full frame of stores, took seconds and I just slid the crown board across to access the end frame .. they came up to see me but soon went back down, no smoke needed (not that I had the smoker going anyway !) .. plenty of bees in there and quite active. Enough stores now for a couple of weeks but I might put a container of fondant on them.

Rest of the hives all heavy and I could see good numbers of bees through the clear crownboards. Left them all to it.

NIce to be playing with them again even if only for precautionary reasons ... roll on spring.

Latest posts

Back