What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
South Devon. UK. Took off the apistan varroa steps. Checked the weight of the hives roughly to see they had stores - too cold for inspection but checked how many frames of bees in each from the top. Took off the empty sugar syrup feeders and added a winter fondant pack to each hive. Checked the winter hive wrappings were secure. Will now leave them and take a quick look in December. Probably drizzle down some liquid varroa med treatment mid Dec when there are no capped brood cells for them to hide in, as noticed some deformed wing recently.

Had to replace a crown board with a split in it on one of my hives that I vaped because they didn't seem to have any brood about 3 weeks ago. Because the crown board was off and the weather was mild (15C) I pulled the middle 3 frames - still no sign of brood :(.
The hive seemed ok - 8 frames of bees but I just hope there's a queen in there!

Was delighted to watch so many bees coming and going from all of the hives and loads of yellow pollen still going in.

Treated my last hive with OA dribble as it was broodless except for 5 capped cells on opposing sides of two frames and gave it 2kg fondant. It was taking brood from another colony at the time of autumn treatment as not enough MAQS to go around. Be interesting to see drop. Queen was nice and big.

You say that now,,,, but when you try and hold your breath because they congregating on you veil, thats something else,,,, blowing smoke in your own face is not always as fun as it sounds.. :) Note: they are not always like that,,, but when one or two take a run at you and sting... All hell breaks loose...
A bit too quite I think......
We already have issues with Baboons on the other side raiding the maize under centre pivots. but hoping they wont risk coming this side of the dam as we have more traffic with staff and vehicles etc etc...
Baboons = 4 wheel drive thieves !
Break things just for shits and giggles.....
Grrrrrr !
Thanks for the reply Michael, it's interesting to hear how different your beekeeping is.
I've only ever seen monkeys ( not quite baboons but close enough) at zoos and the like, and we came away with one less windscreen wiper.. It was the wife's new car to. I didn't hear the end of it for weeks after.. My ears were completely bent and I blocked them up with cotton wool. ( I blamed the cold wind) :LOL:

I've got the teashirt, when it comes to having a vail full of bee's, I got stung badly on one occasion only because I used the smoker pointing it at my face and I burnt a hole through my vail, bees got through and I got stung on the face,
I hadn't finished inspecting and had to put the boxes back together rather quickly which pixxed them of even more.

This has only happened once so far.. tutch wood!!

This was in my second season.. Funny I don't think I've run away from anything so quickly with arms flying and colourful language being shouted.

That queen was a pain to find... But very rewarding when I found her and she was sent to the underfoot grave for the damned, the next day.

It was a shame because she was prolific and the colony were good honey producers.
I now make sure I have 2/3 vails per suit and a roll of gaffa tape handy.

...........snip............I've got the teashirt, when it comes to having a vail full of bee's, I got stung badly on one occasion only because I used the smoker pointing it at my face and I burnt a hole through my vail, bees got through and I got stung on the face,
I hadn't finished inspecting and had to put the boxes back together rather quickly which pixxed them of even more.......snip..........I now make sure I have 2/3 vails per suit and a roll of gaffa tape handy.
Used to be able to buy veils with a wire mesh, rust could be a problem if kept in a damp shed though.

Used to be able to buy veils with a wire mesh, rust could be a problem if kept in a damp shed though.
That would of helped at the time I'm sure murrox.. Modern vails don't last very long... I sometimes use just a vail which was grandads, its heavy in comparison, I presume the mesh is metal coated with plastic.

we came away with one less windscreen wiper.. It was the wife's new car to. I didn't hear the end of it for weeks after..

I used the smoker pointing it at my face and I burnt a hole through my vail, bees got through and I got stung on the face,

That queen was a pain to find... But very rewarding when I found her and she was sent to the underfoot grave for the damned, the next day.
It was a shame because she was prolific and the colony were good honey producers.

A fair distance away in Cape Town, residents have taken it upon themselves to start feeding wild Baboons... Big issues now, robbing and destroying homes, killing pets etc etc etc... These are very dangerous animals and should be left alone...

Regarding the burnt vail,,,, we all have our moment when clear thinking takes a back seat... Heat of the moment - excuse the pun!

Some of our wild "black"colonies here are very aggressive, but ONLY the strongest here survive... I actually admire them.... True survivors that I want to protect..
Truth be told, they actually frighten me just a little bit and get all the "Respect" I can muster on the day... Staff here refer to them as the Small Black Ones that bite!
When they move into structures close to working areas we have to move them, staff get hammered and risks are just to high...
However!
My son does very well with them, he works much slower and more "methodical"?? Hes far more patient than I am... Age I suppose???
Point is, he manages to keep them calm and somehow knows when to close up and walk away...
Hes putting supers on two of these colonies today....

A veil full of angry bees is the stuff of nightmares.
I once got mugged by a monkey of sorts in Kathmandu. Clever little buggers, preying on anybody carrying food.

Modern vails don't last very long...
I have some here over ten years old, still going strong - the only thing wrong with one is that the tab broke on the zip. I suppose it depends on whether you bought cheap in the first place

My great great grandfather tried what was then the latest technology, but still got stung in his eyes.00912B46-7524-40C4-80B1-F2335E973544.png

I have some here over ten years old, still going strong - the only thing wrong with one is that the tab broke on the zip. I suppose it depends on whether you bought cheap in the first place
...or how you care for the product. Hand wash or machine wash? Hand wash. Swarm collection, watch out so you don't snag it on brambles, twigs etc.

Im a farmer I don't like to buy expensive things unless it's a tractor or new tup.
If my suits lasted as long as my boiler suits I would be laughing.

I have Sheriff and BB wear suits
They are both 13 years old, are washed, with the veil, fairly regularly with whatever laundry detergent I have at the time in the washing machine and are as good as new

Well don't complain when the cheap shoddy stuff you buy breaks then :)
It didn't brake and I wasn't moning.
£60 isn't cheap...
I squeek when I walk emyr,
Good job I've got three suits and numerous vails.
One has no arms one has no zip and the other well... There not broken there's years left in them yet.

The Sentinal Pro II suit from Old Castle Farm Hives has a veil made from Kevlar/Dyneema. That should last a while. It washes well too.

All hives out flying today, many with lots of orientation flights, all had lots of pollen going in.
took a feeder off my Maismore Nuc which I left full of cappings to be cleaned. It was now full of comb. Shook the bees out of the feeder and put another one on with fondant. All other hives feeling heavy.

Latest posts

Back