What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, do it now. You'll never have a better chance this year and no need to vape in mid winter
Managed to get an hour to vape the 4 hives. Used your method of an eke above the brood with a clear crown board. Works well and is interesting to see the cloud swirling around the brood box.

Watched thousands of leaves blow onto the ground around the hives. The same ground I’d cleared the day before...🍁💨💨💦🍂🍁

Dug some drainage channels as there is standing water in the apiary. Discovered that a previous tenant had laid carpeting many years ago, which has a good grass cover now. When the water has drained I will deal with the carpet.
My Warré, which I run as low intervention has been overrun by wasps. The colony was very weak. Will start it off again next year with my first swarm

Took off the fondant wrapper, QE and ekes from all hives, stuck a nice polycarbonate crown board on and tucked them up for winter with a nicely insulated roof. Must try not to take too many peaks to see how they are doing.

Did last round of feeding nucs some have stopped taking it down all hives strapped up for winter

Removed the last of the strips, put insulation on and all mouseguards in place. I was surprised how much smaller the colonies seemed to be compared to the lively heights of summer.
i pondered on the balance between worrying that I may not have done everything right for winter versus knowing that bees know what they are doing and a lot of it is up to them.
This is my third winter, going from one colony to three and now into this winter with thirteen. A lucky number. I haven’t had a winter loss before, this time with greater numbers I would expect some loss is inevitable. Such is bee keeping!

Courty

The ivy around the garden was alive with honey bees today the 7 home hives were flying like it was mid summer. Loads of pollen going in and the ivy nectar by the smell around the hives.

The ivy around the garden was alive with honey bees today the 7 home hives were flying like it was mid summer. Loads of pollen going in and the ivy nectar by the smell around the hives.
Nice👍

Took Apitraz strips out of 28 dble BC colonies (55mins as working on my own today) at the out apiary. Found 3 queen wasps hibernating in roof of one hive and one in another hive. Makes you wonder how they get there without being intercepted by the bees? Ivy nectar and pollen still pouring into my two "at home" colonies. Can smell it from at least 8 ft away (so not got covid!)

About 17 degrees today! Orientation flights and bringing back plenty of pollen and hopefully nectar as well. Couldn’t resist a peak at them through their new clear crownboards. Am wondering when winter will start.

Attachments

• 8FCE694D-9A6E-4366-96A6-490BD61EBD3D.jpeg
    8FCE694D-9A6E-4366-96A6-490BD61EBD3D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
  • 41790BF7-ABA5-4032-8914-5227979F972D.jpeg
    41790BF7-ABA5-4032-8914-5227979F972D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
About 17 degrees today! Orientation flights and bringing back plenty of pollen and hopefully nectar as well. Couldn’t resist a peak at them through their new clear crownboards. Am wondering when winter will start.
Same here. Better heft them tomorrow! Phacilia in my garden had a nice scent to them, but only two bees there when I looked.

Took a break at an out apiary after inspection and lay down in front of the hives just watching the entrances.
View attachment VID_20201030_123724518.mp4
It was almost 14 degrees, so not too bad.
Then I noticed that I had accidentally dislodged a rock next to me and disturbed a nest of the world's most dangerous ant. The Jack Jumper. Anyhow, I was ok in my bee suit. No doubt they are feeding nicely on dead bees and grubs thrown from the colonies.

So that’s what Mick Jagger had in his pants and made him prance about like a demented earwig.
”Jumping Jack Flash, it’s a gas, gas, gas....”👌👍👌

Latest posts

Back