What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re-fitted feeders with invert to both hives as weight had dropped despite feeding last month. Added extra insulation around the feeders to fill the void created by them. (Already have insulation fixed to roofs). Put DPM around hive in out apiary to stop woodpeckers.
Dry today so bees were out and about. Still got a few wasps around unfortunately.

I suspect that feral colonies abandon areas of old comb (or even a complete nest) and then the wax moth moves in. Demolition over, the area can be re-occupied and new comb built.
Did a cut out yesterday. Plenty of black comb with brood and honey in it.

Re-fitted feeders with invert to both hives as weight had dropped despite feeding last month. Added extra insulation around the feeders to fill the void created by them. (Already have insulation fixed to roofs). Put DPM around hive in out apiary to stop woodpeckers.
Dry today so bees were out and about. Still got a few wasps around unfortunately.
What DPC did you use as a woodpecker guard in the end?.. 😊

What DPC did you use as a woodpecker guard in the end?.. 😊
Two stable manure sacks, cut up and turned inside out! Stapled it to the hive. Hopefully it will be ok.

I will get some damp proof course when I get a chance.

Last edited:
Cold here today, but bees still out bringing back pollen. 17°C coming up Tuesday!

Two stable manure sacks, cut up and turned inside out! Stapled it to the hive. Hopefully it will be ok.

I will get some damp proof course when I get a chance.
That's exactly what gets used at the teaching apiary - put on with drawing pins on the wooden hives and tied on with baling twine on the poly nucs. It works, but I find the DPC so much easier.

I have remembered to clean the bee suits, they all got a ”whites wash” and are looking so good, I forgot last year and a winter with them hanging in the bee shed did them no favours at all.

I have remembered to clean the bee suits, they all got a ”whites wash” and are looking so good, I forgot last year and a winter with them hanging in the bee shed did them no favours at all.
Had the same issues this year - suits usually hang behind the study door come the colder months, but rain during treating/feeding and dirty suit meant it remained in the shed, when it came to washing the virtually new suit had loads of black mould. Half an hour in a bucket of cold water with a pint of neat Hypochlorite, then straight in the washing machine on a normal 50 degree wash meant they came out sparkling

I am not fanatical about changing comb, but I do do some, thinking of build up of chemicals, spores etc in old wax. I notice in my KTBH, which gets minimal intervention, that they prefer newer comb over really old stuff.
Yes, queen often heads for new comb.

Did the rounds of all the out apiaries, feeders off and most of the hives hefting heavy. One or two had not taken down much so they'll get fondant shortly and marked down for serious consideration if they make the spring. Strong ivy smell at all the apiaries as well, hopefully the bees will make good use of the last of the flowers.
I noticed the birds were hammering the berries on the holly trees shading the hives at my cousin's farm. so guaranteed there'll be none left for Christmas.

Any truth in the rumour the Trump Wall contractors are coming over to build a wall between Wales and England when they finish over there?
Yep.....us Brummies are banned from Wales it seems at the moment. I may invade withe 'Bee-bombs' :devilish: That line of castles built by ....Edward1(?) may come in useful for Wales after all? :ROFLMAO:

Don't know why I even looked at this page. Wish it was an option on the 'What's new' list rather than sitting there to not a lot of purpose.

Latest posts

Back