What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Generally speaking in the literature, early in the year supersedure is thought to be to do with something wrong with the queen whilst late supersedure is thought to be to do with too late in the season to swarm. Thereof late supersedure is seen as an attractive trait for the beekeeper and the bees I guess as the colony can go into winter with a young queen.
Hi beeno, can you share the literature pls.

Getting prepared for taking supers of all but two apiarys.
I've a few weaker colonys which I plan to unite.
Then on to winter preps and treatments.

Im also looking forward to trying jonathan Gettys queen's next season. I've 4 lovely black queen's ordered, to add to my stock for queen rearing over the next few years.

I've 8 colonys on the Heather and they smell and are hefting heavy, we could do with some nice weather just so they can process the nectar.

Yesterday I took off 5 supers from one of my sites. what I did not know is that there was a few lime trees nearby.
I extracted them this morning using a hot air gun which I have been doing for some years (i saw it being done that way when I worked in the USA) the honey is so light I thought it was Borage. It was beautiful and is now selling like hot cakes.

Removed three supers and extracted all of one bucket of honey 28 lbs🙁
I have one more super to remove and hope it’s fully capped.
At least today’s honey was between 17.5 and 18.5 on the hygrometer.

Extracted sunflower more then two weeks ago. The average result is 2-3 supers of capped honey (not bad but could have been better). Today checked some hives. They filled suppers again, of course not so mush as sunflower. Hot and very dry weather causes weak nectar flow. The main plant for bees now is goldenrod which feels good here. Year by year it spreads everywhere in wilderness. Someone says it threatens local plants. I think it's better then the agricultural desert in the right.

IMG_4097.jpg

IMG_4094.jpg

So the loving and ever patient missus has just come back from the bottom of the garden and reported that I'd missed a gap in my.stack of sealed wet supers.....

Ten minutes of chasing bees out of supers and plastic wrapping quickly ensued. 🤦

Break in the weather so went to the orchards to check the hives, by the time I got there it was raining again so waited ten minutes for it to stop. Managed to check a queenless hive and put the clearer board on, rain started again so quickly added clearer board to other hive. Waited an hour then for the rain to stop, before finishing the rest.

My guess it'll probably be raining when I go to take them off.

Clearer boards on the two hives in my garden, one was also moved in to a new poly brood box for winter. Very little stores in the brood box, so will be feeding asap

Break in the weather so went to the orchards to check the hives, by the time I got there it was raining again so waited ten minutes for it to stop. Managed to check a queenless hive and put the clearer board on, rain started again so quickly added clearer board to other hive. Waited an hour then for the rain to stop, before finishing the rest.
My guess it'll probably be raining when I go to take them off.
⛈ thats the story of my life. I look out of the window and look towards the Atlantic ocean, if its dark clouds over Ireland I take my raincoat even if the sun is shinning - give it an hour at the most and 💦☔

Looked through all mine today. Sorted supers for bees to take down into the broods( hopefully) and clearer boards under the rest. Harvest poor. The black bees are making winter preps nicely. The silly orange bees are making more bees.

hefted all hives to make sure non are light.
Topped up feed on most hives. Not too much, just to keep them going.
showers on/off all day and grey skies. Bees flying in between.
looking at the entrance (not much pollen coming in) and floor boards, some big hives are on a brood break. Smaller hives/nucs still bringing in lots of pollen.

Managed to seriously aggravate one of my hives and made the garden is a no go zone. Got stung on my nose, ear and under my big toe (when I trod on one that found itself in the kitchen). We think that Babs our Gold Laced Brahma (a chicken) got stung as well so gave her some chicken anti-inflammatory. Watching Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing now to chill out. More lessons learnt today.

Checked my hives today. The new black bees are a pleasure to work with. They are expanding nicely and with just two brood frames to draw out, will go into winter strong and healthy. The other hive, on a brood and a half are also ok. Put in clearer board, in preparation to remove super of honey. Didn’t expect to get anything from them this year. The half brood box is emptying of brood now, but the bees are back filling with stores. Not sure I will be able to extract as it’s mixed in with the brood.
What is the best thing to do with it?
1) Remove QX and leave it above bb to limit robbing?
2) Nadir it once wasps have cleared off
3) Put it above the QX & see if I can harvest some of it.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Checked my hives today. The new black bees are a pleasure to work with. They are expanding nicely and with just two brood frames to draw out, will go into winter strong and healthy. The other hive, on a brood and a half are also ok. Put in clearer board, in preparation to remove super of honey. Didn’t expect to get anything from them this year. The half brood box is emptying of brood now, but the bees are back filling with stores. Not sure I will be able to extract as it’s mixed in with the brood.
What is the best thing to do with it?
1) Remove QX and leave it above bb to limit robbing?
2) Nadir it once wasps have cleared off
3) Put it above the QX & see if I can harvest some of it.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
I would do 3)
If they don’t cap it then leave it on top for winter removing the QX
I’m not used to Nationals and brood and a half, preferring 14x12 so it’s just an opinion.

Removed the supers from the orchard, one was still half full of bees for some reason so left it on and will get it when I gather them up this week for returning home.

Built up ten underfloor entrances. Just need a second coat of paint. I was briefly watching Stewart Spinks and came across a neat idea for plugging the sublimox holes in the floors, he used a golf tee which are cheap and have a convenient handle end too.

Latest posts

Back