What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20200820_120204.jpg
Prepping for another apiary - once you get known it seems to be a lot easier to find good sites, this one nestled in the Arun Valley was offered to me via another apiary site owner of mine.

Woke up at 4am due to the wind, so got up and inspected all my hives were still where i left them.

Happy to report, all hives are still in place with no roof's missing etc!

Woke up at 4am due to the wind,
I had the same problem
cheesy beans on toast washed down with a bottle of old speckled tacklebag is not a good supper choice.

20200820_103112.jpg
Efficient use of hive stands - splits double stacked with entrances at 90 degrees until they are ready to go to a new apiary probably in a week or so. All fed and treated today and a bit of a pain for inspections but it is only for a short while and cuts down on trips with extra equipment.

Saw the bees of the hive that are on the heather fly off in the right direction this morning. Usually none of them fly off in that direction.

As if, only teenagers have cheese on everything.
Have you ever tried it?
Heat beans then stir lashings of grated mature cheddar into it, stir until bubbling, if you want it posh, then stir aload of chopped chives in too.
Serve on real wholemeal bread.
Superb bowel food.

Have you ever tried it?
Heat beans then stir lashings of grated mature cheddar into it, stir until bubbling, if you want it posh, then stir aload of chopped chives in too.
Superb bowel food.
Sound nice to me. Would also be nice on my freshly baked sourdough.

Sound nice to me. Would also be nice on my freshly baked sourdough.
Good lunch when at sea, no big effort in preparation if we were busy with boardings etc, also didn't slide off your toast to readily in heavy weather.

Checked late summer nucs, and wasp traps working nicely. As the rain was coming in sideways and v v strong winds no honey taken off today as planned but I did pick two huge trays of Damsons and Plums which were delivered to my friendly local jam maker who was overjoyed.
Huge day of honey orders too...possibly due to the news this week around honey and health benefits which was widely publicised

S

Yesterday bees found a hole in one of my stacks of boxes. It was the stack with my deep frames of stores ready for adding to light hives this winter. When I opened the stack it was heaving with bees so filled the hole with a squirt of silicon mastic and put a clearer board on top. Tonight the stack is clear but haven't looked at the stores!
Wasps have now found the stacks of supers. They are going mad but can't find a way in. I have two wasp traps on top of the stacks which are solid with wasps!

Have you ever tried it?
Superb bowel food.

Cholesterol was my thinking and cheese as nice as it is only in small measures. Next you be telling us you have cheese on your chips and have cheesy peas in the curry house!

You are assuming supecedure is only when she starts to run out of sperm. Let the bees tell you. They know that she is not up to par for whatever reason. I believe the bees know best, or at least a lot more than me, about their own survival. Bee-centric beekeeping not beekeeper led.

Generally speaking in the literature, early in the year supersedure is thought to be to do with something wrong with the queen whilst late supersedure is thought to be to do with too late in the season to swarm. Thereof late supersedure is seen as an attractive trait for the beekeeper and the bees I guess as the colony can go into winter with a young queen.

Latest posts

Back