What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not exactly in the apiary but spent today at a "Bee health day" with another 60 plus beekeepers.
We had 6 RBIs and SBIs giving talks on hive inspections, Asian hornet, varroa inspection/management plus example frames of deseases including AFB and EFB.
Very interesting and informative day! It's what the NBU do well.

Went through my stocks to decide which queens to keep and which to replace before winter ( I have several spare queens in nucs and also want to reduce the number of colonies down from 32 to 25). Found that two of my three 3 year old breeder queens have been superseded. I suspect the colony with the third one has also got a daughter queen present as although I saw the marked and clipped old lady and didn't see an unmarked newcomer, I found corner to corner brood patterns on 8 frames when only a few weeks ago there was a smaller and different brood pattern.

Had to wait until 6:30 pm before I had chance to get to the apiary. The sun had gone and the skies were dark and threatening but I needed some frames of brood to make up a nuc for a lovely, new queen. I'd already decided on a colony of Amm as she was laying really well last visit and they could afford to donate three combs. Found three lovely, sealed combs and the queen made it easy for me by making her presence known, she's not shy this one. Placed the nuc in its position and popped the queen in.
I beat the rain as well.
Unfortunately, found some wax moth in some stored frames.

Had a walk around the garden apiary yesterday, plenty of activity. My biggest colony has loiterers on the outside, just a load of bees sitting on the landing board like teenagers outside the local Co-op.
They're definitely not guards as they did nothing when a wasp landed and strolled into the hive through the Abelo entrance reducer (complete with the comb slider in).
Hopefully the bees inside sorted waspy out.

In other news, my clove oil arrived today - I read on here about it being effective at deterring bees. Will rub it on my nitriles next inspection and hopefully I won't get another sting through them...

Had a walk around the garden apiary yesterday, plenty of activity. My biggest colony has loiterers on the outside, just a load of bees sitting on the landing board like teenagers outside the local Co-op.
They're definitely not guards as they did nothing when a wasp landed and strolled into the hive through the Abelo entrance reducer (complete with the comb slider in).

I have come to the conclusion that they are having a kip.

Lost 4 nucs to the yellow bast.rds today, been a week since I'd checked them , had entrances closed down to about 20 mm..
I have never seen anything like the number of wasps around my nuc apiary hundreds of them

Checked my 2 new queens in the nucs today as I was there to strap them in for the winds. Both went in nucs 3 days ago with tab removed.

Today both out their cages and laying, Very happy. Decided to use 1 of them to requeen a nasty hive and the 14x12 nuc I well overwinter.

Well that's the plan anyway

I have come to the conclusion that they are having a kip.

This is them, being all loitery and stuff

y4mC9U64kj0Y7IL00bjlRk2hk53Nf_l28rw6GjYmjNvtUADuGc8eDhyLJacbGta_RuBchFCmgb5sWLjBSI0LgoMcgCIS7tr2ARsbecZbjSA5G5tC5Q3x1vW_ugn_y3lY1w0k0Hsg1OXQoIuhLubK_hEB3GCqhT8OY_CjAQsvxsduEprTz2vxanZXiNtOe2CfRgmt_XeAZYv0Dpnc1-6TWYQgg

horse-keeping-forum! :laughing-smiley-004

does anyone find this thread slow to load? It's getting big.

Yes .. it takes a few seconds longer than most but worth waiting for ... my usual first port of call in the forum.

I suspect now that it must hold some sort of record for the longest running and largest number of posts and views of any forum anywhere on the internet .. Guiness Book of Records time ?

Don't even think about closing it....

Yes .. it takes a few seconds longer than most but worth waiting for ... my usual first port of call in the forum......

Don't even think about closing it....

:iagree:

It's the Tonybloke memorial thread - and what a legacy he left us
I only wish that when I shuffle off that I can leave such a ripple in my wake

In between showers
Let a new queen out of her push-in cage.
Lots of bees came over to feed and groom her and she ambled off to lay an egg
Fingers crossed

Latest posts

Back