What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vaped the last hive today for the 4th time to be on the safe side and fed them all another 4 litres of 2:1, they are still bringing good amounts of yellow pollen loads in and i have found one of the sources which is the neighbours dahlias mainly the red variety which the bees are really interested in, i also hefted them and all are almost nailed to the floor by the weight of them, i will weigh with scales next week and decide whether to continue feeding or not.

Probably final inspections of the year today, all queens present and laying bar one, 50% have sufficient winter stores already the rest had their feeders refilled with 2:1

Lovely sunny morning, girls all busy on the ivy

Our 2 late vigins were maybe too late and appear to be firing blanks, so they have two more weeks to perform or I'm combining them with Q+ colonies

image.jpg

Despite the farmer using agent orange early in the year I still can't get my car up to the hives because of all this wonderful balsam. Long may it reign.

Not having to feed any production colonies this year. All nearly full to the brim . ( double brood). Moved a few sealed frames into the nucs, and added some fondant . All that remains to do is to put insulation round the whole block of nucs and that will be that for the year.

Had a phonecall Friday from a lady who had discussed beekeeping with me on phone in past but never had any bees. She had just bought all the equipment and bees from a keeper giving up, the hives had been moved , but promised help had not materialised. Could I help?

Spent 3 hours + Saturday pm weighing 3 hives, assessing what needed to be done, finding equipment from under tarpaulins/hidden in shed , feeding two very urgently, adding varroa boards (when found!), treating with Apiguard - very late so may not be effective , showing her how to mix syrup easily and how to light smoker etc..

One hive strong, two very light. Insulated dummy boards to be made, roofs insulated (husband), and combs reorganised next week. (It rained on and off during the work - we both got rather wet and with weak hives exposure to elements had to be minimised. )

Fortunately she'll be a quick learner and husband is competent DIYer.. My throat was sore by end of the afternoon too much talking answering questions.

Had a phonecall Friday from a lady who had discussed beekeeping with me on phone in past but never had any bees. She had just bought all the equipment and bees from a keeper giving up, the hives had been moved , but promised help had not materialised. Could I help?

Spent 3 hours + Saturday pm weighing 3 hives, assessing what needed to be done, finding equipment from under tarpaulins/hidden in shed , feeding two very urgently, adding varroa boards (when found!), treating with Apiguard - very late so may not be effective , showing her how to mix syrup easily and how to light smoker etc..

One hive strong, two very light. Insulated dummy boards to be made, roofs insulated (husband), and combs reorganised next week. (It rained on and off during the work - we both got rather wet and with weak hives exposure to elements had to be minimised. )

Fortunately she'll be a quick learner and husband is competent DIYer.. My throat was sore by end of the afternoon too much talking answering questions.

And I bet all your help was very much appreciated. Well done you.

I got rather wet as well. Only checking feeders but it was pouring and I had nobody to hold a brolly for me.
It didn't stop the Amm's though, still coming home from the Balsam :)

I got rather wet as well. Only checking feeders but it was pouring and I had nobody to hold a brolly for me.

Fishing Brolly has a pointed spike and you can extend it. Might help if on your own?

Got a second place for my wax in the novice section of the Lancashire &NW Honey show today.
Almost didn't take it as I thought it was rubbish!
Husband got first in the craft section for his model hive and several other members of Medlock got cards too in cake and honey!

Same here - vaping yesterday and this afternoon - hasn't stopped raining since Friday night but veil was still needed, heavy traffic on both days, one apiary today with bees coming in absolutely plastered with balsam

Swapped a 5-frame colony in a full sized hive (queen not laying too well) into a nuc which fits their size better.

Put a very active 9-frame colony currently occupying 1/2 a Dartington into the recently emptied hive so more space for it and the colony in the other side of the original Dartington.

Not so much what I did in the apiary, but I found myself stuck behind a pickup travelling gingerly along the road to Biggar up in Scotland. I'm thinking there must be something precious in those boxes ;)
038a7285643ece88305967d4e0861630.jpg

Not so much what I did in the apiary, but I found myself stuck behind a pickup travelling gingerly along the road to Biggar up in Scotland. I'm thinking there must be something precious in those boxes ;)
038a7285643ece88305967d4e0861630.jpg
Lovely place Biggar. Been up there stalking Sika the past few years. Sadly won't be getting there this season
Wingy

Broke rules 1,2 & 3 and got away with it. You know how it is just 1 nuc, bees busy so just a quick lid off to top up the feeder so didn't suit up and no smoke. Lid off and my home made eke / feeder was full of bees. There is pollen Pattie, fondant and an inverted jar of syrup which was full of bees. As I blew on them they shook their arses in the air. Should have backed off but no, took feeder into shed topped it up and replaced it into the nuc. All back together and no stings.
That's calm bees for you 😀
Wingy

Back