What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has been like this all day since I got up at 4am this morning for work. Hasn't got any worse. I was going to go to the walk in centre but by the time I would have been seen it would have either sorted itself out or fallen off.

I was just surprised at the reaction because I don't usually react at all. May have exacerbated it by doing a 9 hour shift this morning constantly on my feet.

Go walk in center, if lot of swelling could be pressure on the nerves but this could also effect circulation. if its been hurting this long please I know those places have cues like Woolworths had during the sales but best be safe !

the extent might be down to you got stung in a one in a million chance place !

Visit from Daroco (and his dad) to one of my test apiaries. Isn't it annoying when you can't find the queen?

I checked the 2 hives I look after for a lady - both doing well after being requeened with daughters of 6-1-1037-2015 about a month ago (one even has a super almost full)

When I arrived home, there was a pipette of drone semen I had been waiting for from the Netherlands (but not the Queens that were posted on Tuesday) so I can spend tomorrow inseminating queens.

It was an impressive sight seeing some of B+'s colonies! But the best bit had to be seeing his bees - an absolute pleasure to see bees so gentle and yet enormously prolific. Puts the nail in the coffin of angry bees being the best producers!

It was an impressive sight seeing some of B+'s colonies! But the best bit had to be seeing his bees - an absolute pleasure to see bees so gentle and yet enormously prolific. Puts the nail in the coffin of angry bees being the best producers!

Next time you'll have to bring a crane to lift those supers:icon_204-2:

It has been like this all day since I got up at 4am this morning for work. Hasn't got any worse. I was going to go to the walk in centre but by the time I would have been seen it would have either sorted itself out or fallen off.

I was just surprised at the reaction because I don't usually react at all. May have exacerbated it by doing a 9 hour shift this morning constantly on my feet.

Have you been taking Ibuprofen? After being advised by this forum that you get a bad reaction from bee stings when you are on Ibuprofen, I always ask when people tell me. So, far it is a 100% yes.

Here you go. Please excuse the state of my kitchen floor. Spring clean day tomorrow but with a dog and 4 cats it probably won't last anyway. I have proper chicken legs normally.

Attachments

• 13769507_10207032559348776_5902392487647849282_n.jpg
    13769507_10207032559348776_5902392487647849282_n.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 44
Here you go. Please excuse the state of my kitchen floor. Spring clean day tomorrow but with a dog and 4 cats it probably won't last anyway. I have proper chicken legs normally.

An infection in your knee. I no I have had it from a piece of glass I knelt on. Not a bee sting I no , but looks exactlythesame

Have you been taking Ibuprofen? After being advised by this forum that you get a bad reaction from bee stings when you are on Ibuprofen, I always ask when people tell me. So, far it is a 100% yes.

Nope never take it. Doesn't agree with my stomach at all.

An infection in your knee. I no I have had it from a piece of glass I knelt on. Not a bee sting I no , but looks exactlythesame

I thought that. Will be going to seek help tomorrow. It is really hot.

Apply some ice and try to elevate your leg a bit, gravity is making it worse. I've been stung on the shin and that throbbed for days, enough to wake you up at night but not that amount of swelling. If I'm stung on the arm it will swell up like that.
Some bees are just harder than others :D

well there's a no then- I have to take anti inflammatories all the time (especially in the summer) don't react at all to bee stings.

I react badly to being stung by my bees still.

Got stung on finger on Tuesday, my own fault, took glove off for 30 secs to take pics of bees coating hive because of heat, and they got me. Didn't have any antihystemins, right hand swelled up like a boxing glove, lots of pain, helped by bag of frozen peas. Couldn't hold pen or fork as hand so swollen. Better on Friday.

Went to supermarket on Thursday and got anti-sting spray and antihys cream, just in case. And then...

On Friday, strimmed around bees and they strung my left hand thru the glove. At least it was different hand. So sprayed the sting asap and then when it started swelling, lots of ice/peas and antihys cream.

Unlike the first sting point, which had a massive blister and is still sore now, the later sting area is almost gone, so the spray for me seemed to help the contact site.

Having applied more frozen peas tonight, my left hand is nearly better.

So anti-sting sprays and lots of ice definately helps.

Or just not getting stung!

Last edited:
Had a visit from SBI who tells me my hive on the patio table is indeed a rather large colony. Apparently the biggest colony he has seen this year - by a long way. it is jam packed with capped honey - despite having already taken some off earlier this week. Will be removing much if it tomorrow as worried patio table will collapse unde the weight. Need a step ladder to reach.

This started as a one frame of brood, two of food nuc in April. 2016 Bucky queen.

Had a visit from SBI who tells me my hive on the patio table is indeed a rather large colony. Apparently the biggest colony he has seen this year - by a long way. it is jam packed with capped honey - despite having already taken some off earlier this week. Will be removing much if it tomorrow as worried patio table will collapse unde the weight. Need a step ladder to reach.

This started as a one frame of brood, two of food nuc in April. 2016 Bucky queen.

Who was it had the tagline "I love my Buckies but they are so sticky"?

Latest posts

Back