What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put a thymolated 1:1 syrup on the hives - with only minor cursing as I left the necessary spare super to house the bucket back home when 5 miles away in my out apiary.

Put some more bricks on top of hives because of windy weather.

put pollen traps on 6 hives ready for the weekend CSI pollen collecting. hope the weather is ok to collect some.

righted a blown over double nuc. Luckily the tower of floor, two nuc bodies, thin eke, and roof stayed together (strap and propolis). Heavier concrete block now on roof.

For thoses who are feeding, I'm curious have you opened your hives yet or feeding just as a precaution. I've been going over mg books and its been saying feed in march. Its now April, coldish windy rain and is forecast until wknd and I won't be checking my hives untill 11th April and wondering if I put some feed above them, will it cause any negative effect to my hives.

Thought you had loas of stores in them

Didn't look under the bigger hives, only the nuc and that wasn't intentionally. What concerns me is one hive had lots of brown cappings which suggested brood rearing to me and I'm afraid they'll go through all their stores with this not so great weather. In fact, all had brown cappings but the larger hive on the outside had more. Was thinking of sticking another inspection board in, for another few days for a clearer picture.

Finished building the 7 14x12's, frames, wax, floors and roofs needed for Swarm Control and Bailey Comb changes

Outstanding DIY jobs:
------------------------
Paint my new WBC
Build 1 more roof
Build more super frames with wax

Outstanding beekeeping jobs:
---------------------------------
Treat 2 hives for varroa - they are have high mite drop
Look into feeding syrup when fondant is through
Start 1 Bailey Comb Change when weather warms up

Not been down for a week, when I got home from work, this evening I found it very warm, and the air was still with little wind.

All colonies flying well, and I was NOW (at last!) delighted to see lots of bright yellow and orange pollen being carried into all hives, I was getting a little depressed, of reading all your reports of how busy your girls have been, and pollen coming in, so just goes to show maybe late starters, due to cold maybe.

I shall return tomorrow, to check fondant levels, and take a torch and look through clear crown boards, still feel tool cold for inspection, but I'll keep a check on temperatures, now were are in April!

One of my girls hit me on the fleece hat, and got a bit grumpy.... but flew away, that's because was in the flight line.

I also noticed, early 8am, lots of buzzing from my box hedge, I thought there was a swarm of bees in the hedge, but I noticed lots of honey bees working the flowers, and collecting pollen - maybe my girls ? who knows!

It's surprising now as a beekeeper, how I'm now wondering around looking at flowers all year.... and how I notice bees on flowers, I've never even noticed that box flowers!

bee-on-box-hedge.jpg

This was just something I shot with a smart phone, e.g. Google Nexus 4.0, e.g. Android 5.0.1.

Just point and click!!!! no fancy camera, macro..

Lovely photo...I must save up for a new phone!
All my hives needed more fondant.
Hive 1 ....lovely...lots of bees....hefted and felt a little heavier...so I can stop worrying about them having enough food during this cold weather. The bees were out during dry spells....but the the mist closed in.
Hive 2 .... Buzzy as usual....put the fondant in....more bees seen this time..about 6 seams.
Hive 3 ....also buzzy.....in fact quite a few sat on us during the time we were there. No stings though from either hive but both quite defensive.
I can see that if the attitude doesn't improve with the weather these 2 queens will go over the rainbow.

Lovely photo...I must save up for a new phone!
All my hives needed more fondant.
Hive 1 ....lovely...lots of bees....hefted and felt a little heavier...so I can stop worrying about them having enough food during this cold weather. The bees were out during dry spells....but the the mist closed in.
Hive 2 .... Buzzy as usual....put the fondant in....more bees seen this time..about 6 seams.
Hive 3 ....also buzzy.....in fact quite a few sat on us during the time we were there. No stings though from either hive but both quite defensive.
I can see that if the attitude doesn't improve with the weather these 2 queens will go over the rainbow.

thanks...

Nothing today apart from watching the rain but yesterday amazed by the level of frenetic activity. Lots of tired looking bees though, dropping on front of hive before progressing in.

Also had a queen wasp fly out of my insulation on top of one of the hives. Must have snuck in last year and found it nice and snug. Who said insulation makes no difference....

Had a look this morning at the hives at 10am bees everywhere, & virtually every other bee is taking in large balls of bright yellow pollen, not sure if its gorse, pussy willow or celandine, i think the latter or gorse as its such a bright yellow. I will look in on the nucs early this afternoon if the sun stays out.

Drove over to the association colony rearing apiary this morning to join the working party weighing hives and checking fondant needs. One hive was annoyed at our activities and several bees found a gap between my boot top and beesuit leg end. Four of the little darlings managed to register their interest with extreme prejudice :( (I knew I should have worn my wellies). Maybe a case to requeen that particular hive at the earliest opportunity before one of our new beeks gets an unfortunate start up.

Checked the home apiary fondant levels - bees are hoovering it up now so topped up all hives - sunny day today and bees going bonkers - loads of yellow pollen coming in and noticed a few willow opening up on the river banks jeep U/S over the bank holiday so have my mate and sometimes helper chaffeur me up to Carreg in his hairdresser's car (I suppose a Land Rover freelander will cope with the track and the climb as the weather has been quite good) on Monday to check those

Latest posts

Back