What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps a little clumsy due to swollen arm and hand from wasp stings a couple of days ago (nothing to do with beekeeping), or perhaps a little gung-Ho because I've managed it OK before, but something I did riled my best (quietest) colony when I was taking off a few sealed frames and they really went for me. Lots of stings, some of which got through, so now I am going to find out what happens when you get bee stings on top of wasp stings (apart from the searing pain).
On quiet reflection I often use a cover cloth and neglected to do so this time, and because I went down through several supers I left too much of a large colony uncovered and able to 'fizz' when they got the first alarm. That'll teach me to be more respectful. Never assume a 'quiet' colony won't get you if you make a mistake and they have a mind to. :sorry:

United my "miracle hive with its neighbour this afternoon. Saw a wasp so closed up the entrances to a single bee space for all the hives

Nothing - went to the Gower show to see how my honey had done - Light honey: Highly commended. Commercial class, second and a long chat with the judge afterwards about my labelling and what were the bees foraging to get that honey. second for cut comb second for my wax cake, so not too bad a day.
Then got into the export honey trade - sold four jars to someone in Manchester with an enquiry for further orders.

Inspected an April swarm that I put in a poly hive....now filled to the brim with honey and little room to lay. Took two frames with eggs and stores on and put in a nuc. Found the queen.....possibly the biggest queen I've seen so far. Kicked myself for not buying more super frames in the sales

Nothing - went to the Gower show to see how my honey had done - Light honey: Highly commended. ... and a long chat with the judge afterwards about ... what were the bees foraging to get that honey. …

So what were the suggestions?
The honey I extracted last week has come out a lot lighter in colour than last year's. I'd be interested to know what it is that has done so much better in this year's weather and gives a light honey?

Looking on the bright side, a light honey would mean not much lead! :biggrinjester:
I'm sure I left a coat somewhere here …

well, the usual really - touch of hawthorn and mostly bramble we decided that the greenish tinge to my 'commercial' honey may have been down to either hexagonal jars refracting light differently or more possibly the slight greenish tinge you get from glass that may have a tad of recycled materials in. The honey he gave a highly commended for was in a standard pound jar, was from the same batch as the commercial but looked totally different.

Last edited:
Split my over-strong week-old nuc onto 2 QCs each adding a couple of spare stores frames and one of sealed brood. It's late and I may be hosed with the weather but live and learn...

As I look ahead to feeding season, I had a brainwave: with a bunch of crushed wax, I am going to float it in the fast feeder.

Last edited:
Whole super of cut comb. What a sticky mess!! I put the frames in the fridge the night before then had to wait till they warmed up a bit so that the condensation evaporated....stupid idea. Tried the Thorne cutter then went through my whole armoury of kitchen knives before settling on dental floss to cut the comb.
I'm looking at another five frames but I think I might just go to the seaside with grandson today and eat an ice cream on the beach.

The honey I extracted last week has come out a lot lighter in colour than last year's. I'd be interested to know what it is that has done so much better in this year's weather and gives a light honey?

Clover? I have never seen so much in bloom in the surrounding fields. Our orchard was carpeted in it, the scent was unbelievable and it buzzed with bees from morning till night.

Did an inspection and found what plant the set aside next to my hives is full of that the bees love so much, its Purple Tansy or Phacelia Tanacetifolia - Bees love it (especially as there is no HB near me)

Me too?

Clover? I have never seen so much in bloom in the surrounding fields. Our orchard was carpeted in it, the scent was unbelievable and it buzzed with bees from morning till night.

Yes, it could be Ericha. The only problem I have with that is that I only just discovered them bringing in clover pollen and all my batches this year have been light. I was thinking more in line of less weeds? If it is clover we will find out in due course as it has fairly quick and coarse granulation.

Me too?

I find noticeable changes in colour and flavour in honey made at different times.
Summer honey is darker and slightly more bitter - I suspect nectar from trees - chestnut and beech.
Autumn honey is lighter and more floral in flavour - HB . rosebaywillow herb, brambles

"Fiddleneck"

And the same to you!

Yesterday afternoon, Looked over a few of the association hives as classes cancelled Sunday, looks like the strongest hive this spring is doomed (badly mated queen after swarming or maybe DLQ) so a queen hunt next Sunday and depending on the result a unite or a shake-out.
Checked my two out apiaries, marked one queen so only eight to go (late afternoon sun and not much time to hunt for them) bees generally not in a good mood the Carreg bees seem to have found some balsam - the nearest source is less than a mile away so it was only a matter of time!, luckily there's plenty of room for it, I might just get away with the amount of supers I have left without breaking into the 'emergency' reserve supply of flatpacks!

Discovered that i had trapped the queen in my supers! brood all over the place Grrrrrr
spent a good while rearranging supers down into brood (i have brood and half so this was made slightly easier) but still a mess! I have now taken Q excluder off completely. Hopefully they will get things back to shape.

Marked and clipped two new queens, checked on a Nuc to make sure it is ready to be collected tonight.

Seen quite a few queens and although I really am fond ofthem, I get the feeling it's pretty much one-way and they don't seem to view me as a friend. So I guess I will have to pass on the Harmony method of beekeeping.

I sat amongst the bee hives watching the toing and froing , lovely weather , very peaceful even the inquisitive wasps weren't causing any problems .the insect hum, the bird song , I awoke having been asleep for over an hour . Got to have been old age or was it the wake of an old oppo I had attended earlier?
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back