What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bait hive added at end of Apiary No.2, removed the empty nuc, and returned to Apiary No.1

Made up my first ever nuc today. One queen, a load of bees, 2x frames of brood, 1 frame split brood and stores, two frames of foundation and a block of fondant. Fingers crossed for a new queen in the original hive in a few weeks and im then officially a 3 hive man!!!!

Fingers crossed for a new queen in the original hive in a few weeks and im then officially a 3 hive man!!!!

You already are: just one of them is (redeemably) Q-...

Me: I threw a super onto colony 1 in the desperate hope they stay around till Saturday when I can look for HM again and hopefully Demaree.

Not technically in 'the Apiary' but today I tried to collect a swarm from up a tree in a neighbouring village. Thought I had them in the skep and then, darn it, on the way down the ladder, they promptly took to the air and returned 200m to the very high roof of the village library (closed today) from which they had originally come! Apparently according to the local residents there are swarms issuing from there regularly!
Called to inform the council and left a bait hive nearby! Maybe they'll try again tomorrow? :(

I transferred the swarm I caught yesterday into a 14x12 6 frame poly nuc. with a frame of brood from another colony. I didn't see the queen but there were eggs in the old comb I'd used as bait, so it was a prime swarm.

There were QCs in the hive I took the brood frame from so I then ASd it using a Ken Basterfield (adapted Snelgrove) board. That makes four hives with QCs waiting to hatch. Fingers crossed.

Helped Redwood move hives to his new apiary, when we were there he had a swarm call so off we went to collect a nice fat swarm sitting two feet up a small bush next to the path at a sheltered housing complex - had to move quickly as bingo was scheduled for 1800 and nothing gets in the way of that!
Said swarm now sat in nice new accommodation at my apiary.
A nice ending to the day after all the cr@p I got all morning from my line manager at work.:D

Helped Redwood move hives to his new apiary, when we were there he had a swarm call so off we went to collect a nice fat swarm sitting two feet up a small bush next to the path at a sheltered housing complex - had to move quickly as bingo was scheduled for 1800 and nothing gets in the way of that!
Said swarm now sat in nice new accommodation at my apiary.
A nice ending to the day after all the cr@p I got all morning from my line manager at work.:D

I liked the look on the ladies face when I said removal costs are...........two cups of tea :D

Checked that the hive I moved yesterday were happy, and all at home. only two bees were in the nuc box that I had placed below the entrance to the hive so I knocked them onto the alighting board. Just leaving them too it when a couple of foragers banged into me on the return journey. So much for the three feet or three miles rule.

Stuck a second super on the hive I artificially swarmed two weeks ago. They have the first totally full even though they have foundation to draw in the brood box.

Inspected my biggest TBH yesterday and found uncapped QCs. Performed an AS into a wooden Langstroth this am - before the forecast rain arrived..

Marked a new queen in one hive, culled queen cells in another.

collected another swarm and decided to rearrange some bees at home as SWMBO says I "have too many" So I must part with 2 hived colonies :(

Also made some inroads with a local allotment 2 mins form home about the possibility of keeping bees there. It will be a slow road with the council, but better to start when I don't need the space than when I do need the space.

Got stung right between the eyes.. But how lucky I was, it happened 200m away even I didn't work around hives till then. After that I went to demaree and some other and they become as lambs. The reason was first we had some nasty, strong wind at beginning of a day and in afternoon it stopped and nectar flow started.. Just to keep it steady for some time..

Love the smell of Acacia in the morning , apparently so do the bees !!!!

Better than the smell of this the other day which is about to be prohibited during the day in France but don't hold your breath, (wear a mask).

10314755_10153206790607195_4191920493591562549_n.jpg

Chris

Re-nuked a colony that had been housed in a travelling box. Gave them something with a bit more insulation. Noticed that although of small size they had made some queen cups... but looks like the swarming fever is over for them.

Knocked out emergency cells in another hive (4 days after a split), leaving the prime QC. The bees were playing 'hide and seek' with the emergency QCs (bees were 3 deep), so I may have missed one. Gentle blowing on the frame with the main QC, and shaking on the other frames, was in order.

Latest posts

Back