What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked on my Shook swarm

Could not resist it, had a peak today - 48 hours after shaking them in. They have been VERY busy and taken very well to the plastic frames. All 18 frames appear to be covered in new comb (although 1 is weirdly only drawn on 1 side, the other side seemed to be totally cleaned off and polished). Lots of comb, some nectar and pollen stored, with eggs on a number of frames. Cannot believe they were so quick.

In the virtual Apiary, I upgraded the server cpus to quad cores so that the thermal simulation runs can now be a lot more complex. The loud buzzing from fans has meant this server has had to be moved out of the office. Its likely to need a swarm of servers to do a fully detailed simulation.

Last edited:
Over here the whole area smells on wild cherries these days, I breed with full lungs.. But flowering passes fast. Bees like a lambs, colonies are growing as a yeast..

I need to bailey 3 of mine too, the comb is disgusting:blush5:

However from my experience a couple of years ago good warm weather is essential. Doing it in marginal weather sets the colony back big time - too much "vain space" as Finman says.

Not seen much sun today but it has been mild and the bees are going like a train. There was more air traffic on all my hives at five o clock than during most of July last year. Incoming from all directions. Willow to the North, Blackthorn to the East and West, plum blossom to the West and a field of OSR to the South with just a few early flowers already open.
Supers going on tomorrow!

Had a little peek, outside frames empty but inner ones lota bees honey capped brood. Lots of flying, pollen etc. Eke still on, bees devouring the rest of the winter fondent. Will leave for a few weeks for the supers to go on.

Second supers popped on 2 hives today.

Single nat brood with added foundation only bb put on last week so now double. Frames all drawn out in the last week.

Foundation only super added last Sun also drawn out over the week.

One hive looks close to starting swarm preparations.

This is getting scary in only the first week in April. Last year I opened up today for the first time.

Cazza

Inspected this afternoon and one of my National bbs had 4 charged Q cells so carried out 'artificial swarm'....getting earlier each year!

Am carefully watching one of my hives , They are a bit tight for space and some nice drone cells are scattered here and there.Would have split yesterday but it turned a bit cool , Maybe this upcoming week I,ll thin them out.

two hives nearly wiped out last autumn by wasps , recovered slightly over winter checked few weeks ago when we had warm weather , put feed on everything looked ok , Friday both hives wiped out by mice , only one hive was left with dozen bees and queen in poor state food still on top , so given to rest of hives , took queen home made three coombe split to save queen , will have to check in a couple of days to see if she is ok if not then reunite back into hive

Sneaked in quick first inspection on our windy hilltop in Yorks. Bees flying all day despite on/off drizzle. Main issue: surprising amount of stores. Same old queen: had been hoping managed to supercede late autumn. Still, 4 frames of brood, lots of bees including some drones. Ready to roll when weather warms up.

I counted 8 full seems of bees and quite a few dry queen cups. Added the first super to give them some more space and some foundation to draw out. The second hive being a newly houses nuc got more thin syrup to help it on its way.

16'c yesterday afternoon with very busy colonies so had a quick peek into the top broods to check for space. Half of them almost full and sealed! Extra supers on the ones that needed it.
Last round of OA V with hive doing extremely well.
Solar wax extractor built.

Latest posts

Back