What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
requeened a hive with an old queen and found 2 marked queens in a nuc so took 1 queen and made up another nuc.

Shuffled frames to give the nest some expansion room. Winter fuel consumption in my poly was 5kg by an intermediate-strength colony and now I'm worried about swarming (the colony is really thriving abd is making drones). Boy that's a lesson learnt.

Hi TTLTB,
Thanks for sharing that I have removed fondant from one hive today! So, different from last year. At least a couple of frames with nice worker brood on and lots of pollen.

looked through 12 colonies.. all had eggs and brood in all stages some had 5 frames of brood.

How old were these old queens? Just asking.

the queens are from late last summer.one queen i took from a warholtz mini nuc that made it through and the other one from the 2 queen nuc baffled me a bit.i marked a queen from a mini nuc late last summer and she flew off.when i checked my nucs later that week one of them had 2 marked queens in and i know i only marked 1,so she flew from the mini nuc and was accepted in the 5 frame nuc which already had a queen,i let them be and to my amazement she is still there,both laying away.so thats where they came from

In view of the forecast I was hoping to do a first quick inspection of the year. It did not turn out as warm as predicted. I ended up removing remnants of fondant. had a look at a few frames in the supers ( on top of brood and half), and put full frames of stores from the edges into middle, and quickly shut up. All looking good. No losses so far!
Plenty of pollen coming into hives, and a bit of nectar being laid down in empty cells.

Both hives have made it through the winter (what winter...?), took off the door restricter as there were loads of activity and most were queuing to get in. Nice to see so many coming back with fully laden with pollen

In view of the forecast I was hoping to do a first quick inspection of the year. It did not turn out as warm as predicted. I ended up removing remnants of fondant. had a look at a few frames in the supers ( on top of brood and half), and put full frames of stores from the edges into middle, and quickly shut up. All looking good. No losses so far!
Plenty of pollen coming into hives, and a bit of nectar being laid down in empty cells.

Hiya Drex: Yes, I'm a bit inland from you but windy today and not as warm as forecast. Hopefully tomorrow is the day for preliminary peep into bb. Pussy Willow just about to open. Lots of yellow pollen entering. Never seen a bee on copious hazel catkins here.
G.

Last edited:
Took off roofs and CB. Girls are consuming small slabs of fondant and Neopoll but they have no interest in pint of 1:1 sugar syrup supplied in contact feeders a few days ago.

Checked inspection trays, pleased to see no mites on any of my three trays. Made a new hive roof and mineral felted it, so its ready to swap on a hive tomoz (the roof Iam swapping needs attention

Well yesterday's update really. Attended Cheshire Spring Convention with two great talks from Philip McCabe. Laughed so much at some of the anecdotes that my sides hurt. Found out that a local farmer has put in about 100 acre of rape. Then home to see the bees flying in earnest on a lovely sunny afternoon. Great day all round.

had a look inside my two 1st one that had just 3 frames when we did oa in dec look ok happy to say lots of bees coming and going 2nd one that had 8 frames at oa looks full to bust !!!!

the queens are from late last summer.one queen i took from a warholtz mini nuc that made it through and the other one from the 2 queen nuc baffled me a bit.i marked a queen from a mini nuc late last summer and she flew off.when i checked my nucs later that week one of them had 2 marked queens in and i know i only marked 1,so she flew from the mini nuc and was accepted in the 5 frame nuc which already had a queen,i let them be and to my amazement she is still there,both laying away.so thats where they came from

Bang goes the theory!

whot a lovely sun and bees out just had a few phone calls to say i have got 3 more jobs in the village made a new stand for m/t hive now do i wait for a swarm or take up the offer from dad in law to buy a nuc for my b/day?

Last edited by a moderator:
Unlike the forum members down south I haven't seen much activity from the bees so far this year. Until today. Clouds of bees outside each hive, orienting and bringing in pollen and I presume water.

In other news I knocked together some flat pack hive parts I bought last year. Can't paint them yet though as it's threatening to rain.

Good to get back into bee stuff again.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

First good bit of weather down here so had a look at my 5 hives all good. All had stores and all had BIAS . All were stuffed with bees only seen one queen but all the hives had eggs so they must be there ... Cleaned all the floors of dead bees and crap so I'm well happy cheers all Neil

Latest posts

Back