What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got home and another bloody swarm in the same spot and tree as the one I got yesterday but at least twice the size ( massive) and this time not one of mine lol

Just got back and a bee keeper was removing a swarm from a tree next door, hopefully not from mine.

Just got home and another bloody swarm in the same spot and tree as the one I got yesterday but at least twice the size ( massive) and this time not one of mine lol

Great if you have a spot like that in your garden..... at least you know where to look.
Lots of people spend time squashing redundant/dead queens onto a branch hoping to create just such a place :)

I got stung! Again!!
Little B***ds (sorry darlings) found a tiny hole in the suit where the zips join and got in. Got stung once just under my lip and once on the chin - and then one managed to sting my arm through the bee suit and glove arm.
They are not happy bunnies because of all the rain here - just put a bit of syrup on because of weather forecast for next few days, but I did manage to spot the missing queen! No sign of honey, all the acacia blossom gone now with moche weather. :(

Not much in the apiary apart from sit near a hive and watch the bees work - the Cardiganshire girls are piling it in at the moment, thought I'd share a few moments I grabbed with the camera. Pottered in the workshop a bit (we'll, when I say workshop, it's a shed with a power socket!)

Last edited:
Day 1!

Collected my first nuc last night and opened it up this morning. Very exited! Pulled the tape of and ran......nothing happened. 30 minutes later there were lots flying and then bringing in pollen by 12. Its on a flat roof of a three storey office block!

Having done two a/s last week I am itching to check if the new queens are laying yet. There are small amounts of pollen being brought back but not as much if there were lots of brood. I shall have a peep after the weekend.

Today was spent bee watching.

Had the bee inspector round looking at all my hives but with the intention to demonstrate how we will have to check for SHB if any are found in the area, I should add although slight some of my bees are in a considered high risk area as in very close to Heathrow. However all the hives were passed fit and strong.

She did comment on the amount of drones in my hives given the foundationless frames but only found one varroa and pulled a drone from a cell with deformed wings.

She was happy with the foundationless frames other than the drones, found them quite interesting as it happened and I discussed theory regarding when the best time to comb change to reduce the drone comb .she was also not fazed by the TBH but wanted me to handle the combs but once I gave her my cradle for the combs she was happy to twist spin and fully inspect the combs.

All in all a good experience pity its taken 7 years.

Great if you have a spot like that in your garden..... at least you know where to look.
Lots of people spend time squashing redundant/dead queens onto a branch hoping to create just such a place :)

I have got that many bees/ swarms now I decided to have a play with this one and.put a board down to walk them into a hive it worked like a dream I just hope that I am not getting too cocky lol

Collected my first nuc last night and opened it up this morning. Very exited! Pulled the tape of and ran......nothing happened. 30 minutes later there were lots flying and then bringing in pollen by 12. Its on a flat roof of a three storey office block!

Congrats!

I put another swarm into the isolation apiary and put syrup on the one I put in yesterday. It had been there 3 days before it was brought in and bad weather forecast.

Over the past few days loads of honey bees and bumble bees have been working a large patch of these flowers in my garden.

Can anyone please tell me what kind of plant/weed it is?

Not much in the apiary apart from sit near a hive and watch the bees work - the Cardiganshire girls are piling it in at the moment, thought I'd share a few moments I grabbed with the camera. Pottered in the workshop a bit (we'll, when I say workshop, it's a shed with a power socket!)

Lovely pictures!

Watched a swarm issue from one of my hives and persuaded them into a skep. Must be swarm 12, third from the same colony. Hope for many more before mid July.

Latest posts

Back