What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tackled the bucketful of wild comb built in the fondant eke on three hives !
I managed to render some beautiful buttercup yellow wax and no sludge! This wild comb has been built in about 4/5weeks so filtering not required !:)
Sautéed brood any one?
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Made this with some of the wax gained cleaning up the wild comb
Beautiful colour ?

View attachment 8410

VM

Lots of black bees checking one of my bait hives today. I had my nephew with me and when asked why they are not mine said 'yours are bees in striped pyjamas uncle' !
Will have to get some queens reared soon so that if and when they move in I can re-queen in future.
S

Opened the doors to the new queens I bought in, caged and introduced into my hives. I've had enough of these miserable/aggressive buck fast bees...

Inspected the Abby bees and got invited to dinner by the nuns...I declined the offer!
The bees are doing well. A swarm I collected last year! Black bees and a black queen. Laying well no drone brood yet!
View attachment 8417

I didn’t do much but the bees were kind enough to build comb on the little mating nuc frames a dropped into there hives. Wow they filled them out in under two days.

Opened the doors to the new queens I bought in, caged and introduced into my hives. I've had enough of these miserable/aggressive buck fast bees...

Hope they work well for you, qits strange how different people have differing opinions. I wouldn't want anything other than my Buckfast, can only suggest its down to the breeders.
S

Wonderful
Dandelions?

My thoughts, though I also thought the dandelions a little too late ,maybe the comb was built later and therefore quicker than I first supposed!
VM

I spoke too soon, whent to check them today and guess what.... All gone :cuss: One of these day's I might actually succeed with this swarming lark :hairpull:

Today I was in the kitchen with my sister hearing all about her recent trip to Nepal, she looks outthe window and says "oooh, there's a lot of bees out there".

Not "a lot of bees" and blooming great cloud of them. We went out and watched my bees swarm over 2 gardens and settle in the third. I popped round, luckily I've known the residents forever so they were fine.

Swarm had landed in a fir tree at about shoulder hight. Shook them into my skep, inverted it onto a sheet and waited. My sister points out they have moved to a post so I scooped up a couple of handfulls and what do you know there was the queen, I popped her into the skep, left it a couple of hours, gathered them up and popped them in a hive. Another couple of hours, they were all inside so I packed up the hive and moved it out to my out apiary to replace the one I lost over winter.

All went exactly to plan, no drama and no stings. There must be something I've forgotten.

A frame of open brood from the original colony would prob have kept them or an excluder under the brood box (for a couple of days only)
Ab

Woke up in middle of night to buzzing in the bedroom. Found a queen wasp had gotten in via window and eventually settled behind wardrobe. After some quick googling sprayed some hairspray near as I could get and turned off lights. Within a few minutes she came out of hiding to check the smell I dazed her more and you can guess the rest. Baby and wife moved out of the room for an hour not exactly what you want at 4am!

Moved three hives onto a field of oil seed rape last evening. All very uneventful apart from falling down an old badger hole three times over in the dark.

Back aching a bit this morning. Anyone have a hive barrow or some other way of saving their back? (I must be getting old)

Now hoping for continued warm weather so they can get busy!

strange one over night

checked the colony yesterday, all seemed okay, am running a 14x12 brood with just one super on at the moment.

then out at around 22:00 last night to shut the hens in, low droning from the colony and the hive entrance was packed with bees - not bearding all over the front of the bb, just in the entrance. was probably about 10-15c at the time, so not massively hot. checked this morning, a fair number of dead bees out the front this morning. BB is set up hot ( ie, frames set parallel to the hive entrance ) but I'm surprised if it was that hot with a fully loaded BB and I didn't think it was a sign of imm. swarming.

any ideas gurus ?

thanks in advance

D

Latest posts

Back