What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coincidence I am about to do the same but in reverse 14x12 down to standard and finally double brood. Good luck with your move.

I am also downsizing from 14 x 12 to standard National(s) I would be interested to see if your reasons coincide with mine Tom.

I went up to 14 x 12 by modifying 2 standard nationals so it should be (relatively) easy to de-mod them back to standards again.

Went and had a chat with the local farmer who annually sows wheat/OSR.

The OSR is an inch high. Farmer pretty miffed and strongly considering plugging it in. Not planting OSR again until later in the year.

I asked whether he would like hives on the land. Admitted to not knowing a great deal about bee's, Assured him that was not a problem. He explained that once a year the OSR is sprayed. He mentioned that he not to spray within 12 metres from any hedgerow and to be done at a particular time of day!

Any ideas what spray this may be? I am awaiting an email from him with the details.

Did a quick check today, as the hive has been ominously quiet even though we were hovering around the 12 deg mark today. No brood, lots of grumpy bees eating the feed, minimal stores, no sign of Queen.

This is just getting so depressing, I am just thinking of giving it up altogether :(

What kind of camera do you use? another lovely pic.
Felt abit more like spring here today bees very busy bringing in pollen, yipeeee

I wrote before when also someone asked - small amateur Olympus FE230, pretty old but gave us numerous pictures..

This is just getting so depressing, I am just thinking of giving it up altogether :(

No don't do that.
I've lost one colony and another looks weak.
I feel despondent sometimes.
The sun will come out and we will all feel better.
Find yourself a nuc from a reputable source, see if you can get one from your local BKA as well and ....breathe.

Did a quick check today, as the hive has been ominously quiet even though we were hovering around the 12 deg mark today. No brood, lots of grumpy bees eating the feed, minimal stores, no sign of Queen.

Hang on in there Margo it does not sound much different to a lot of us. It's not over till 'the fat lady sings'. One positive 'lots of bees' and it is always difficult for beginners to find the queen. No drones? The good weather is on the way or so someone said?

No don't do that.
I've lost one colony and another looks weak.
I feel despondent sometimes.
The sun will come out and we will all feel better.
Find yourself a nuc from a reputable source, see if you can get one from your local BKA as well and ....breathe.

Exactly - cold weather makes things look worse than what they are - sometimes you do get the odd sucker punch, but just ride it and start again if needs be - but for all you know once the weather improves your bees will to. (got one colony with me that whenever i look seems finished, very quiet, no bees around,dead bees on the OMF, but every time I lift the crown board they're up like a shot - I haven't given up on them yet).
Just give them plenty of food and some peace to sort themselves out - they may surprise you; and what have you got to lose?
Nothing!​

No cold winds today - frost on the ground when I got up but the top of the garden, in full sunshine was nice and warm - bees were out early, plenty of orientation flights and pollen coming in - by midday it was 21 degrees between the hives,and finally - the Swansea bees made an appearance! :party: piling out big style this afternoon. it dropped down to 12 all this afternoon - bees still busy all hives bringing in pollen - dandelion, some crocus and I saw a glimpse of a beige pollen (good for me lately with my eyes playing up!)

Wandered up to the old chapel to see how the bees in the wall had fared this winter, sadly they didn't make it - no sign of any foragers - ear to the hole and I couldn't hear them - and no guards when I stuck my knife in the hole for a reaction. some flecks of yellow poo near the entrance (not Nosemic splatters) so they were there not that long ago - i reckon this long long cold spell just did for them. It's a pity as they have been there for years and I was hoping to catch a swarm from them this year.

Been sitting in the sun watching bees bucketing pollen in :)
One colony wasn't taking in a great amount .
What the hell! I'll have a look see!
Very small Queenless bunch occupying a couple of frames .
Hive stuffed with stores ,however one frame was devoid of stores and had majority of cells displaying the rear ends of dead bees. A classic case of getting separated from their stores!
My busiest two colonies dropped an awful lot of pollen on entering the hives , I use Dartington floors, there was a lot of congestion ,leading me to think the problem to be jostling whilst negotiating the 11 mil slot to gain access? The slot is full width and has been all Winter! No form of mouse guards are used with this arrangement!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My busiest two colonies dropped an awful lot of pollen on entering the hives , I use Dartington floors, there was a lot of congestion ,leading me to think the problem to be jostling whilst negotiating the 11 mil slot to gain access?

I've noticed that with my floors as well, it only seems to happen early on in the season, especially with willow pollen, maybe it's just spring fever?
The entrance gap on my floors are 9mm - Always open full length and no mouse guards - great aren't they?

Yes I am a total convert. I have deviated from the original design by reducing the thickness of the back rail to make it easier to fit an inspection board with sufficient room to withdraw without scraping the droppings thereof!
VM

I have them on my two wooden boxes. I have shortened the landing board so that it doesn't protrude from the front of the floor as I kept finding drowned upside down bees on it all winter. I'll see how that works when I change the floor this Spring. I used some architrave so that it actually slopes down aswell. Otherwise I think they're great too.

The landing boards on mine a removable and spend the Winter in the shed:)
They slope when in use M
VM

Today in the apiary I smiled.

The ones with Finman's substitute pollen patties seem to be eating it. I had expected them to eat more, but then I realised that they are mostly not very big colonies. All the colonies were flying and none are dead, not even any of the nucs.

All 3 hives flying and brining in pollen! Such a great sight and such a good feeling...not out of the woods yet but I'm getting more confident as the days move on!
To think it was exactly 1 year ago on the 17th April I collected my very first nuc! Now I have 3 colonies in the garden and a new out apiary at an Abby planned with 2 initial colonies...and room for lots more!

what did you do in the apiary

Sat and watched the bees bringing in pollen,great tonic

The girls flying and brining in pollen! and working on 3 WBC hives that I was given last week

The girls flying and brining in pollen! and working on 3 WBC hives that I was given last week

Your girls must be cleverer than mine? Mine wouldn't know where to begin work on one WBC hive let alone three! :D

Latest posts

Back