What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frost overnight but at last some decent sunshine with no wind.
All hives busy
You could hear the bees on the crocuses in the garden from 20 feet away

Thanks for the pic Ericha. Now I know for sure, some of the pollen that my bees are bringing in are indeed from crocuses!

Moved some water butts to a new location to make room for two (or three) new hives. A few girls going out for a comfort break from a cedar nuc (no pollen coming in despite lots of crocus and snowdrops etc), none venturing out from other hives.

(no pollen coming in despite lots of crocus and snowdrops etc), none venturing out from other hives.

Isn't that interesting, mine were banging in the snowdrop pollen like there was no tomorrow for a short while this afternoon. Must be local weather conditions - 9c here in Suffolk.
Cazza

Hi all,
Mine all out bright and early - really cold. Could not understand why there were so many bees outside my front door. Thought they had worked out where I live. Phew, they were using the little 'cups' in my drain covers for drinking from as they are in the sun. The pond still had ice on it this afternoon. Shall fill them up with a drop of tepid water tomorrow. Well, it's only a temporary inconvenience.

Hard frost at the allotment this morning, but bees flying well around lunchtime when I popped in to check. Put 2.5kg of fondant inside an upturned clear sandwich box with a hole cut in the lid above the crownboard. Fingers crossed only a few more weeks to worry now

Watched mine going crazy today bringing in loads of white/grey pollen. Very happy sight.

The girls were out and about all over the heather in my garden

Hard frost at the allotment this morning, but bees flying well around lunchtime when I popped in to check. Put 2.5kg of fondant inside an upturned clear sandwich box with a hole cut in the lid above the crownboard. Fingers crossed only a few more weeks to worry now

.......... and then we newbies will have to learn all about swarming and all the anxiety around that!

I've decided I'm more anxious, not less, as I look forward to my second season!

Dusty

.......... and then we newbies will have to learn all about swarming and all the anxiety around that!

I've decided I'm more anxious, not less, as I look forward to my second season!

Dusty

Hi Dusty,
I am with you on this one. Although I have been through the swarming bit. However, I sincerely hope that my management skills this year will prevent all four swarming at the same time at least - if they overwinter successfully that is. I had two swarm attempts last year, but I decided that they were not serious and I think I got away with it. My tip to all newbies is: Mark the frames with QCs as you find them, then decide what to do. First, instinct for newbies is to destroy the QCs as they go along.

Or if the beek accidentally squished the queen last time in, and didn't notice ...

Set up six well over engineered double hive stands in my new apiary ready for me to transfer 5 hives from my other apiary.

The site is an old chalk put and the south facing face is pure chalk and with the sun coming off it today it was 15c in there, it was lovely working in a teeshirt today.

Set up six well over engineered double hive stands in my new apiary ready for me to transfer 5 hives from my other apiary.

The site is an old chalk put and the south facing face is pure chalk and with the sun coming off it today it was 15c in there, it was lovely working in a teeshirt today.

Got the picture. Spill the beans then!

Latest posts

Back