What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sad to say saw 2 green parrots (red bills) feeding on the blue tits' peanuts in the garden yesterday. They looked in good nick for the moment but how long will that last in this weather? Someone has got to be distraught at losing then.

Any ideas how to catch them if they return?

Last edited:
Sad to say saw 2 green parrots (red bills) feeding on the blue tits' peanuts in the garden yesterday. They looked in good nick for the moment but how long will that last in this weather? Someone has got to be distraught at losing then.

Thousands of them are living in the wild in this country.

The largest UK roost of these is thought to be in Esher, Surrey, numbering several thousand.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ea...o-be-shot-before-they-become-a-nuisance.html#

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feral_parrots

we're getting your parrots!
Ring around the neck? Not necessarily. There are colonies in other places that they could be spreading from. I've seen them in Brussels and there are several German cities with parakeets of different species as well as the ring necked ones. They have increased in numbers around the South East of England over the past few years, but we don't claim them as "ours" :) Any escapes would have originated from Southern Asia where they're captured for the pet trade.

No shortage of them in France either especially in and around the larger towns or cities.

Huge long list of things that shouldn't be in the wild in France but are, they all need culling.

Chris

Checked fondant situation on hives.. Put fondant on 3 more that were getting light. And lost one/ very small but it had starved. It had fondant on but hadnt moved to it and still 3 good frames of food..

I'm still hanging around waiting for spring to get my first bees. I've finished the hives and NUCs, as well as all the frames and foundation. Finished making my calender for the bee keeping year and my action plan for capturing a swarm from an unknown colony. Ive read and read and now im BOOORRRDD!

I'm still hanging around waiting for spring to get my first bees. I've finished the hives and NUCs, as well as all the frames and foundation. Finished making my calender for the bee keeping year and my action plan for capturing a swarm from an unknown colony. Ive read and read and now im BOOORRRDD!

Been there.

Did that last year.

Believe me, all the prep is worth it.

Enjoy!

Dusty

Hi Chris, spring will soon be here and I last year was in the same place as you. Had to wait for June to get my first bees though but worth the wait. So one hive and a nuc, then it will be two and then three and four. Hope your action plan knows when to stop before. Anyway good luck for the coming season.

See I missed read you already got four and an S on the end of nuc.

Last edited:
Hi Chris, spring will soon be here and I last year was in the same place as you. Had to wait for June to get my first bees though but worth the wait. So one hive and a nuc, then it will be two and then three and four. Hope your action plan knows when to stop before. Anyway good luck for the coming season.

See I missed read you already got four and an S on the end of nuc.

you still miss read lol lol lol

None yet, bring on spring 2013! 3 hives and 4 NUCs ready and waiting. in chris's profile

you still miss read lol lol lol

None yet, bring on spring 2013! 3 hives and 4 NUCs ready and waiting. in chris's profile

It's late and nearly bed time and my thinking abillity has got up and gone before me.

Winter ordering

Not really in the apiary (except in my mind): ordered some more woodenwear for this coming season. My first season last year was a failure, but won't stop me. Wish me luck!

Thanks everyone, these late night comments have given me a giggle. I am bord of waiting but I'm completely hooked on the whole bee keeping thing. I'm enjoying every bit of reaserch, every chat with local beeks and every hands on experience. I loved making my own hives and hope the bees will like them. In case i start building a bee empire I have a "bee mad" prevention plan in place......it's my wife! She'll soon tell me when I've gone to far lol.

Not in the apiary as such but my father and I (in my spare time) have been tidying up an old (glasurite?) lorry body to serve as a store for supers, spare kit etc. The roof has been insulated with 25mm poly sheets and is in the process of being sheeted over with 6mm ply. Next on the agenda is to weld up a frame for a door and sheet it with galvanised steel. I'll be moving my warming cabinet into the store/bee-shed once I run electricity over to it from my workshop. The plan is to extract in it too.

As for the bees, they are looking after thenselves. I did take the opportunity to check the out-apiaries at the weekend - all the colonies still appear to be alive - some have yet to touch their fondant, others have nibbled at it a bit and some are almost ready for a top-up. Due to a lack of bee related activity, I have otherwise been occupying myself by working on my Series 1 Landrover.... hope to have it running again very soon!

Last edited:
put some more fondant on one of my colonies, the other two still weigh heavy upon hefting, and look as if they'll not need any feed this winter :)

Checked if needed fondant. Put some of the fancy wool insulation that the turkey arrived surrounded by in the roof of one of the small colonies to up the insulation.

Latest posts

Back