What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bees were flying again today. I treated with oxalic acid last weekend, and checked the varroa count on the board today. About 150. More than I expected!

Following on from my post here yesterday.....Treated colonies 2 and 3 to OA...quite surprised as to how well they are doing too....poly hive (really looking good)...not taken much fondant, but left it in for good measure. Cedar hive (which was a split from my No 1 (Best Hive), also doing fine, though not quite as advanced/strong as the poly hive (swarm)....maybe there is something more advatageous in the poly hive...looking that way.... ;)
Still, cold weather on the way (snow end of the month !!), so early days to be purring to loudly ! :nono:

Assembled some brood frames. Surprised myself by being able to knock a nail in straight.

Why do o/a when using apisan strips ?
If the mites in your colonies aren't immune to apisan ,don't use o/a
If the mites in you colonies are resistant to apisan then use o/a
VM

If they were not, they soon will be!

How on earth did you let such a thing happen?? Thats horrendous, not to mention downright dangerous.

Not using any smoke or protective clothing? In really cold weather its usually OK, but if not and the bees are 'coming up' out of the seams then you need a wee puff of smoke to deter them and let you get the fondant on without trauma to either yourself or the bees.

I had bought a new thick camo jacket and believed it to be sting proof. I was wearing a veil and gloves so I took reasonable steps to protect myself. The problem was that one colony who spent the Summer being very placid obviously got defensive and were pinging. Their stings went straight through my jacket so my arms and back got a hammering.

Leaving them in longer than the specified 6 weeks is not recommended by the manufacturer, as it apparently can result in the mites building up resistance to the treatment.

Hadnt seen by bees flying lately (i work in the week so its only weekend that i can see them) but have been clearing a few dead bees from the entrance.(10 - 20)

yesterday whilst on a day off I took the entrance block out and after a few mins quite a few came out for a clean. Later in the day i went to the hive to clean a few more dead bees from the entrance with a feather and collected then in a jar just so i could see if there were any problems but all was OK. One of the live ones went for me hammer and tongs. Good job i had put a veil on as she was most insistant. She followed me into the house.
Captured her in a glass and showed her the correct path back to the hive.

Put block back in by the way.
Phill

Hi all,
One of my colonies 'the barn bees' came back to the hive yday at 1615 hrs with pollen! It was getting dark. Since we are in for a cold snap I hope they havn't overegged it. It would be such a waste of all their hard work. Looks like I might get a bit of sunshine today - joy!

Walked dog yesterday and met up with couple of my bees. It was sunny but cold. Picked them up to warm them and then they flew home. Ahh.

Picked them up to warm them and then they flew home. Ahh.

:eek:

I do that ....infact I am worse. I take a bee revival kit out (heated ice pack in a poly container) and pop all the "dead" bees off the landing board in while I do a circuit of the fields with the dog. Most of them wake up and fly home.

7˚ now and brilliant sunshine and blue skies :)but was foggy and zero this morning.
Bees out collecting water in the grass where husband and I are working on the pond relocating willows

Last edited:
Why do o/a when using apisan strips ?
If the mites in you colonies are resistant to apisan then use o/a
VM

The main cause of resistance is beeks using nothing but one chemical. Even if it still works for you, alternating with another (unrelated) treatment helps to keep it that way.

The main cause of resistance is beeks using nothing but one chemical.
Please justify ,I would have thought leaving pyrethroids in a colony too long, thus exposing the mite population to a weak dose to be the main cause of resistance ?
VM

Please justify ,I would have thought leaving pyrethroids in a colony too long, thus exposing the mite population to a weak dose to be the main cause of resistance ?
VM
Repeating treatments and low residue doses are both factors. Resistance has been demonstrated at full doses, once that's in place the residue effect on the frames and bees will maintain a selection pressure for resistance. Removing strips reduces but doesn't eliminate the residue. Using different treatments allows any selection pressure reversing resistance a longer time to act between treatments so those treatments can still be effective at intervals of several years.

However, what we do know is that varroa re-infest, so it may not always be your own treatment that builds or maintains a resistance level in the area.

Repeating treatments and low residue doses are both factors. Resistance has been demonstrated at full doses, once that's in place the residue effect on the frames and bees will maintain a selection pressure for resistance. Removing strips reduces but doesn't eliminate the residue. Using different treatments allows any selection pressure reversing resistance a longer time to act between treatments so those treatments can still be effective at intervals of several years.

However, what we do know is that varroa re-infest, so it may not always be your own treatment that builds or maintains a resistance level in the area.

:iagree:

Spent a couple of hours in the garage last night and made up 4 brood boxes that I picked up in the Fawns Wragby sale from their 3rds.
2 went together very easily, the other 2 took a bit of fettling.
Just need to fill and sand now before 'Ducksback' treatment and I will be a bit closer to being ready for the season.
These come in packs of 10 so 6 more over the next week or so.

Pete D

Checked the fondant situation on the 5 hives at home - judging on their consumption the last month or so I thought two would have needed a top up so prepared tubs in advance: pleasantly surprised to find three hives with almost untouched fondant and two with half a tub still left - all seem happy and snug (managed to hear them cwtched up indoors) so they've obviously realised it's winter and time to slow down.

Latest posts

Back