What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went up the garden to visit my WBC to see that the bees were out and about. Which is not unusual as they have proved themselves to be pretty hardy and happy to go out in all sorts of weather. On closer inspection I saw bread crumby debris on the alighting board and on inspection under the hive, the same underneath (OMF). Then saw a couple of bees carrying off other bees.

First thought was that robbing was going on so I have put some straw round the mouse guard to confuse robbers. Does this mean there is another colony pretty close by as the temp hasn't been above 7 degrees for some time and I would be surprised if any bees were travelling very far at this time? It seems a very unusual time for robbing?

Any thoughts would be welcome.

C

doesnt sound like robbing to me, we have just had some very cold weather down here that lasted a few days, the bees were prob carrying out the ones that had died while in cluster.

the cappings are where they are eating thier stores.

where in west sussex are you?

I risked opening up my poly nuc to cut and add a layer of polystyrene on top of the lump of fondant I had put on.
It was 10c so not too bad but I was very quick.
Seems they hadn't eaten much of the candy at all but I didn't lift it to check.
They were carrying out some dead and bringing in some pollen. Pale and in small amounts.
I guess the queen kept on laying because she knows the numbers are bad!

Hi Seabeehawk,
The bread crumbs bit may be brood cappings? They are brown and honey cappings white if not mouldy.

just done my OA treatment and was surprised that the very weak colony that i kept thinking about uniting until it was to late to do, is now the strongest which just goes to prove leave nature alone some times it knows better than us

Hi thanks for response - after I posted last night I did wonder if it was as you have said so I went up this am to remove straw. I observed first to see what they were doing and definitely saw a couple of bees tousling with other live bees. After 5 mins I also noticed that one of the battles was with a big fat drone! I also saw small amount of pale pollen going in.

The trouble is I'm nervous about the bees as they are a small colony from a swarm last year. I fed them in Autumn and and had some robbing and then they had a mad forage all through October and early November but were still a bit light. I'm debating whether to put some fondant on or wait until new year as I would prefer to let them manage themselves within reason.

I'm Chichester way.

Hi Seabeehawk

Are you a member of the Chichester BA? They are very good for advice and mentoring if you dont have one.

The bread crumbs bit may be brood cappings? They are brown and honey cappings white if not mouldy.

I always think that the brood cappings look just like ground-up Weetabix ...

I found loads in my hives yesterday - mind you haven't checked underneath for several weeks.

I'm debating whether to put some fondant on or wait until new year as I would prefer to let them manage themselves within reason.

If in doubt, I'd say give them access to some dry sugar and just keep an eye on it. Better that than risking starvation - and if nothing else it'll put your mind at rest. If they don't need it, it'll be ignored. Cheap insurance.

LJ

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your patient and helpful posts - yes I do have a mentor who is very helpful but I also wanted to see if anyone else had seen what I had observed. I don't think the bees had tucked into their stores until a few days ago so it was alarming to see such activity and debris which looked very like what had happened when they were robbed in the summer. Especially along with the drone wrestle. This is my first year with bees and probably wont be the last time I'll jump to the wrong conclusion!

S

1 was getting light so on the assumption that we might have some snow and can't get to my apiary

I hope it won't snow until I get home on Thursday! then it can pelt down and I'll help with your fondant
:D

Watched the bees(lots of them) flying in the noon sunshine yesterday.
Some flying in slow loops, some the bobing around in front of the hives, some going off and fetching stuff or inspecting things.

Hi all,
Checked my knockdown rate day 2: 200+ on the one with all the dead bees (is that a lot) and 9+ on the 'healthier' PH with more bees.

1 was getting light so on the assumption that we might have some snow and can't get to my apiary

I live in west sussex not Finland. haha.

No chance of snow but rain on the other hand, if the farm tracks get any worse i will just have to walk to the hives. lol

Back