What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Tony,
One of the young guys at our apiary supplied a sample like that for the honey show. Pls someone explain how one gets honey like that. It's really eggnog isn't it. Not that I have ever sampled it. On that subject, I had some Lindies farm (probably misspelled but you know who I mean) mead some years ago and it was undrinkable. However, sampled some home made mead yday and it was good. Hope I get an excess supply of honey next year!

Easily knocked over pool of molten wax and a naked flame, cool, can I have a set for the MIL ?

all large candles are pools of molten wax with a naked flame, it's how they work ;)

are you particularly clumsy?

Went up and checked on my bees for the first time in 3weeks. All the hives were flying, some busier than others. Out of the 11 on the site 4 a bit light so will take up fondant the next time i go up which will prob be when I do OA either next weekend or the weekend after depending on the weather.

One of the heaviest hives has loads of wax cappings on the landing board out side as you can see in the pic, but it was flying really well so no complaints.

The only issue I had was I got stuck in the mud on the farm track that goes to the bees on the way back out, the car now looks like a giant cow pat.

dpearce4. Nice lot of hives. Mouseguard planned on one nearest camera?

My lot have wax cappings around too. Not sure if they are eating all they uncap or just shifting some around to where they want it.

9 degrees today, so I've just taken the opportunity to check on my girls. Natural Varroa drop over the last two months: one hive had 5 mites, all the others zero. Be interesting to see what happens after a dose of OA.

There are two light hives (late swarms) on which I'm running overhead 2:1 and candy over winter. The parrots will tell you that bees won't take syrup when it's cold - well, mine are still sucking about an inch a week - such a small amount suggests to me that they're living on it, rather than storing it.

I noticed today that on one hive (the lightest of them all) they've built a ring of brace comb directly beneath the crown board's jar feeder hole, so incorporating the feeder into their brood nest area. I've often seen similar examples of bees building comb inside or next to feeders - right next to the food supply, whether bee-made or man-made. They ain't daft. Which pretty-much confirms my hunch that they're living on the syrup as well as stores.

LJ

They all had reducers with pins in reducing them down, the ones that have them missing which are the ones flying most today were byfar the heaviest, I gave them a bit of a hit on the side of the BB waited for a min or so to see if a furry friend came out, due the the reducers not bing there anymore, nothing came out and so put the reducers that were missing back in. The one with the most capping visible is also on a solid floor so it could be that they have just had the vacuum out to have a bit of a clean up.

Robbing?

Went up the garden to visit my WBC to see that the bees were out and about. Which is not unusual as they have proved themselves to be pretty hardy and happy to go out in all sorts of weather. On closer inspection I saw bread crumby debris on the alighting board and on inspection under the hive, the same underneath (OMF). Then saw a couple of bees carrying off other bees.

First thought was that robbing was going on so I have put some straw round the mouse guard to confuse robbers. Does this mean there is another colony pretty close by as the temp hasn't been above 7 degrees for some time and I would be surprised if any bees were travelling very far at this time? It seems a very unusual time for robbing?

Any thoughts would be welcome.

C

Latest posts

Back