What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took this video footage at the hive entrance; quite intrigued by the behaviours of some of the girls. They plant themselves, head down, at the hive entrance and proceed up and down, up and down obsessively on the same spot, licking as if they are sweeping or cleaning. They seem completely hypnotised, as if they're doing it all in a trance.http://youtu.be/uyh-TX6dJ1o

sounds like washboarding - noone really knows what it is as far as i can gather, one theory is not enough to do in the hive so they have to do something but who knows

Took this video footage at the hive entrance; quite intrigued by the behaviours of some of the girls. They plant themselves, head down, at the hive entrance and proceed up and down, up and down obsessively on the same spot, licking as if they are sweeping or cleaning. They seem completely hypnotised, as if they're doing it all in a trance.

Behaviour clearly shown at 2:42m, 4:50m and a whole bunch of them doing it in a row at 5:23.

What on earth d'you suppose they're doing?!

http://youtu.be/uyh-TX6dJ1o

It's regional bee inspector time, give him a bell and let us know how you get on.

Took this video footage at the hive entrance; quite intrigued by the behaviours of some of the girls. They plant themselves, head down, at the hive entrance and proceed up and down, up and down obsessively on the same spot, licking as if they are sweeping or cleaning. They seem completely hypnotised, as if they're doing it all in a trance.

Behaviour clearly shown at 2:42m, 4:50m and a whole bunch of them doing it in a row at 5:23.

What on earth d'you suppose they're doing?!

http://youtu.be/uyh-TX6dJ1o

Groundhog Day meets Hokey Cokey

That nearside bee is obsessive!

No, I don't think there's anything wrong with them. It IS washboarding definitely. I've gone looking at other videos online, and it's definitely the same behaviour. It is a delightful mystery! :)

welll not today but yesterday I drenched each of 18 hives with 300ml of 1:1 with 1iml of Nozevit and fed a futher 3 hive fumdil B.( my last supply)....all the hives had shown nosema on test ( or in the same apiary as postive tests)

just ordered some granulated Lecitchin for hivemakers recipe for thymolated syrup

Had bee inspector visit yesterday so put on apigaurd and fed while hives were inspected

Bee inspector coming back today to take samples from the hives in the out apiary for a bee health survey in sighned up for during a weak moment.

All our bees are now in home-made Kingspan/Recticel hives - last colony moved yesterday evening. They were definitely not too happy with the disruption - lots of buzzing/fanning/bums in the air etc, but amazingly no stings! How we got away with it, I really don't know :) It will be very interesting to see how they settle into their new hive - this colony was not too happy during last inspection - they superceded late, and although now have a laying queen, and are foraging well, they needed feeding. I am concerned as to their ability to get to a sufficient size to go into winter. I'm still contemplating if I should combine with another hive, but will give them a bit more time to see how they build up in the new warmer home.

Sitting having my lunch break at work by my hive suns out very warm bees are flying like crazy bringing in bright yellow pollen.

Sometimes I amaze myself with my own stupidity.
Wondered why the varroa drop on one hive was so low.
Opened up and found that although the eke was on, I had forgotten to put the apiguard tray in. Doh!!
Cazza

Sitting having my lunch break at work by my hive suns out very warm bees are flying like crazy bringing in bright yellow pollen.
mine are bringing in the bright yellow pollen also,What could it be off ??:confused:

ivy pollen is a rich golden colour ....my bees can't get enough of the stuff

Ivy not in flower yet here in chadderton. I made a point of checking.

Loads of yellow pollen here: hairy willowherb or hogweed I think.
Plus white from HB.

Bees not v active: overcast and cool.. forecast cold for Friday.

Kept feeding nucs heavy syrup.

Propped up legs of one warre which had sunk into the ground following the spring/summer/autumn rains. (All my hives are on grass: I must get some more flat stones to extend our path - which appears to consist of worn out gravestones !)

Mine are bringing in lovely golden orange bundles, but the ivy on my back wall is not out yet so they must have found some somewhere a bit sunnier.

put the clearer boards on for the last supers to come off tomorrow

Latest posts

Back