What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had luck when I managed to get 4 extracted supers back on hives after one shower and just before another.

Mind you I still got soaked from
a) Walking through the waist high field of grain at one apiary
b) The rain started again big time just after I put the roof on the last hive!

Rained most of the day so knocked up a few brood and super frames. in the brief time the rain stopped and the sun came out, the bees were quite busy - taking in water from pools in the garden (river too high I suppose for them to go near)

Spent the morning trying to prevent a gang of Apis cerena from robbing my weakest A. mellifera hives of their stores. After lunch a few A. dorsata joined in. (My, what a wonderful looking bee that one is) and they were then joined by a the much smaller A. trigiona. It was all starting to look like a mini 'Battle of Britain', so I reduced the entrance down to a couple of bee widths. Lost a colony last week when A. cerena overran it. First time that had happened.

Hi Chiangmai would love to see some pictures of your bees and apiary set up

To be able to spot the different types of bee and know them,it must be great to see the diversity of bees you have,and welcome

Having gone to my local associations apiary and found out that my bees had arrived :hurray:, I then realised i didnt have my wallet so couldnt do anything with them coz I couldnt pay the £80 i owe for them....:banghead: so i spent the evening helping others transfer their new bees from thier NUC to their hive and spotted three queens .... :cool:

I'll be back next wednesday with my £80 to get my bees and transfer them to my hive...:hurray::hat:bee-smillie:music-smiley-026:

I cant wait ...

Fed the nuc of bees that were housed this time last week and had a quick look at the previous residents to see how they are getting on in the brood box they were moved into. All okay so far.

Weather dire all day. I'm waiting to see if my queen has hatched, mated and started laying.

Just blocked both hives up so I can start work on the site in the morning.
Moving a nuc into a national and will probably check how the TBH is doing.
Nice weather for at least a couple of hours would bee good.

It has been put off the last 3 days due to weather but I would have no problem with them visiting when I am not there. They will work with you if you want to be there. We have EFB in my area so would rather be safe.

A certain SBI claims he hardly ever sees the beekeepers. Funny place Leics and Rutland.....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Last Sunday as near as I could tell.

SB, the chances of your new queen emerging last sunday,getting mated and to be laying eggs by now are about nil,as long as you know the new queen has emerged, you would be best to leave them well alone for the next couple of weeks at least,and don't inspect at a time of day when the new queen could be out on mating flights, when the weather is nice of course (when ever that is).

Latest posts

Back