What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got up early to get a few things done so I could pop down the apiary as there is a nice break in the drizzle for a couple of hours only to find the wife has taken both sets of car keys by mistake.

:toetap05:

Bought out the remanding hives, supers, roofs and frames from an old, (older than me that is), professional bee-keeper, that should keep me going for a bit.:eek:

Chris

Put some feed back on over the last two days. Just received an alert from RBI advising to check colonies and feed as required in this sustained period of poor weather.

Just taken a quick trip to apiary.Sun's broken out for the first time in days.
Heart hit my boots..........bees all over the big hive but after watching for some time it looks just like orientation flights. Other two were doing the same but on a smaller scale.
We are moving house and in with ma-in-law :reddevil: while we find somewhere new.The hens are going to sis-in-laws and the bees into an orchard nearby;everything else into store.Yesterday,while it rained,I made a list of all the beekeeping equipment I have to keep back. Where am I going to keep it all :eek:

It stopped raining and the sun broke out for 5 mins (!) so I topped up feeders. Dislodged one top bar in error - did not see it - bees streaming everywhere very annoyed. I was in jeans and no top so dashed to get jacket before I closed up hive..
Two stings later.

This hive is a year 1 carnie cross and the only nasty one of four so due to be requeened.

put my new hive down the garden, Saw the queen bees were calm, put a super under the brood box as well, weather showers, but more than happy with help from Marie thanks again for your help in my first year,,

Checked some hives at an out apiary - last inspection 2 weeks ago.
Virtually no food in any hive.
Had taken one frame of stores and some fondant just in case.
Bees were in a pretty foul mood.
queens had kept on laying regardless, despite the fact that they are "dark"bees - i.e. amm types (allegedly).

Can't get down there. Raining almost all day.

Sun came out for 1/2 an hour NW chilling wind 10c so dived in to have a look, Bees not happy with my intentions straight at my face trying to protect the brood, only one play cup with no eggs, all three colones are find one better than the rest, running out of stores fast, supers back off and feed back on errrrrr dam weather

put a crushed lemon balm leaf near the entrance wow never seen so many bees all over it dont know if they were throwing it out or rolling in it i only wanted to encourage them to clean up a bit,if i put a bit in the super would it encourage them to go up and draw the foundation or should i just be patient

if i put a bit in the super would it encourage them to go up and draw the foundation or should i just be patient

An artist's pencil and pad might be just as useful at the present time.:)

put a crushed lemon balm leaf near the entrance wow never seen so many bees all over it dont know if they were throwing it out or rolling in it i only wanted to encourage them to clean up a bit,if i put a bit in the super would it encourage them to go up and draw the foundation or should i just be patient
Bees have an attraction for lemon smelling things but you don't want to encourage them into the super as the weather is so cold at the moment it could break up the colony away from the brood resulting in chilled brood, be patient and when there is a flow on and looking to store nectar they will be up there like a shot

thanks guys will let them decide when its time ,they've all gone back inside again now

Called at 1 out apiary after work just to check all hives up right etc.

Was surprised to see some bees still foraging at 18:00 in approx 10 degs.
Maybe they were taking the chance as it has been raining heavy almost all day!

Fed mine with light sugar syrup -- had to do this in the rain and cold as no sign of a let up. Only lifted the roof though, not the crown board, so hopefully not too bad a shock to the bees.

Just given my 2 hives each about 1 kg of fondant... Had finished the last lot and the weather still cold and wet!

Checked on stores

After receiving an email from regional bee inspector about the bad weather and the possibility of starvation. I checked a couple of hives to make sure they have enough stores.You cannot just assume they have enough.
Although the weather is cold a quick check has made sure they are all ok.

me to still feeding today. Sunday warmed up enough to inspect all hives very light on pollen stores.

Latest posts

Back