What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
11C at my Apiary yesterday, plenty of activity around hive entances but no evidence of any pollen coming in. Checked Varroa boards - hardly any Varroa drop since Oxalic Acid application on Saturday, hopefully a good sign.

Strength wise three are strong, two medium and one only on just over one frame side (this last one was no surprise and was expected, but thought I'd give it a chance)

I don't usually leave my Varroa boards in during the Winter months but thought I'd try something different this time around. I put them in in October but left them about 2 inches from being fully in to leave a gap to reduce the chance of moisture/damp building up. It seems to have worked.

Cold enough here today in the "Sarf" for the bees actually to be clustered enough rather than flying to treat with oxalic acid at last! :rolleyes:

I don't usually leave my Varroa boards in during the Winter months

Check out the John Harding floor. They appear to supply adequate ventilation. Certainly a full floor OMF is not necessary (think polyhive floors) for ventilation, but the varroa aspect (which is often over-played by suppliers) may be a help- but how often is there brood from wall to wall (sides, and back to front)?

The problem with your varroa inserts may be the detritus on the board building up and festering with pests and pathogens.

RAB

Looked at bees in my TBH with window. All clustered tightly - overnight frost and sun but water left in the shade freezes so it's cold...

Completed one 18inch TBH for use as a nuc. (pallets as usual : new expenditure £2 on fixings , using surplus glue, roofing felt and mesh.)

One or two hardy souls buzzing about. Checked the fondant and hefted one that doesnt have any. It was a bit light so making up a couple of takeaway containers worth.

Looked at bees in my TBH with window. All clustered tightly - overnight frost and sun but water left in the shade freezes so it's cold...

Completed one 18inch TBH for use as a nuc. (pallets as usual : new expenditure £2 on fixings , using surplus glue, roofing felt and mesh.)

This is where I am utterly useless. I am hopeless at any kind of wood work!!! I would like to make my own supers and broos boxes and roofs but, mention dove tail joints and my brain oozes out my ears..:(

mention dove tail joints and my brain oozes out my ears..

I used dovetails on the roofs I made last year. Only because I made them and wanted the best joints I could get (non-cedar and deeper-than-standard roofs).

You can easily get by with box joints and even butt joints for some parts. Just need a few extra fixings (and using screws, instead of nails, makes things easier and stronger). Square cuts at the correct length ensures squareness of the boxes. I have found, over the years, that for boxes, flat pack are hard to beat for National deep and shallow boxes. That is sale seconds, of course.

RAB

Temps at 12.5c, no clouds in the sky, barro at 1035.5 hpa, and a gentle breeze.............Bees EVERY where!!! Water runs, poo runs, pollen coming back................Me no likey this vewy much

the title says it all

I applied some fondant to one of my colonies
is that all! look at albums & see my supers outside for an airing! I've treated them with acetic acid. Have a mead now you must be tired!! xx

Cold crisp morning minus 3 celsius so decided to check the varroa count and fondant,

Second week after oxalic and the varroa drop is down to almost single figures for the week on all my hives ,so i removed the varroa boards and they will be on open OMF for this cold spell because some had condensation on the varroa boards this morning

Check a friends Dead out, pity full, a small colony in a dummied out 14x12 hive with limited insulation and match sticks under the crown board....less than a 100 mouldy bees left....they did not have a chance....the recent activity must have been robbers

The BBKA news matchstick humbug on open OMF floors has a lot to answer for..

Last edited:
Well here was finally cold enough for the bees to be clustered inside so I could get round to the little jobs in the run that I have been meaning to do all winter. Some running repairs to the willow screening and levelled the ground a little more so I could move round the hives to make better use of the space for next year.

is that all! look at albums & see my supers outside for an airing! I've treated them with acetic acid. Have a mead now you must be tired!! xx

Cann't stand Mead and I don't drink anyway so............Can I have a glass of water please?

First winter, and first OA treatment. Went well, they were nice and calm. My hive faces south, on the edge of a field. I would say I had 5 seams of bees. As far as I could tell, they looked good, lively. They did all seem to be on the left of the hive (standing at the entrance). Is this normal? I assumed that as this side is in the sun all day long, sunrise to sunset, with no shade at all from trees etc that it is the warmest side. Thing is, they had plenty of stores in there, on the other side of the hive though. Will they go and find it?
Other than that question, from a very untrained eye, they looked happy!

today i treated with oa trickle and fed fondant all seems fine well done girls come on spring!!
:)

Brisk this way was well. Gave fondant to the one colony that didn't previously have it. Half a dozen of them flew up on a kamakazi attempt to thwart me, but I'd remembered to zip up my veil this time. HA! Not so smart bees!

Not today, but yesterday.

Did oxalic across my three hives. All in good state and quite active despite being only just above freezing, though dry and without wind.

The first was across four and more seams but being in full sun and most active has depleted its stores since mid December so added 2kg of fondant.

The second was more tightly balled, but still quite active. Still plenty of stores and looking good.

The third was a little smaller – across one less seam – and has gone half way through the 2KG of fondant placed on at the end of November.

Looks like all is well so far, but will keep have to top up fondant on number three later this month and will keep an eye on the second.

Did a bit of hefting today - alarmingly light so gave each 2kg fondant. Seem ok as told me to p*** off in bee language when I gave them a rap.

Everything crossed! (Hard to walk like that though:rolleyes:)

Extended the hive stand by about three feet. The colony adjacent to the drilling sent a view angry guards out to see what the commotion was. All done now so have plenty of room to AS all three at the same time if needed (hope not :( )

Did a round of OA treatment, at a friend's apiary, the out apiary and home. Happy with what I saw, gave fondant to some, others didn't need more. Smallest colony in Autumn is now filling six seams.
Making plans to relocate two home colonies to new site some time soon.

Latest posts

Back