What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This morning made up a super of frames in case I needed another one on my hive when I did the inspection (I didn't but i will in a few days i think the way the bees are working.)
This afternoon inspected the hive first time bare handed:eek: ooooooh bit apprehensive at first but went great, i probably did less damage than with gloves on so less chance of getting zapped anyway 'sfunny didn't seem to pick up half as much propolis as I do with gloves on, weird feeling manipulating the frames with half a dozen bees sunning themselves on my bare hands! they seem a fairly laid back bunch though.
Watched a bee first poke it's antennae out and then emerge from a cell - tried to take some photos but unfortunately I must have bu%**&%ed the focus in my excitement (pointless depending on my eyes through the veil and everything) so they didn't turn out.
going up to the bait hive now to dab a bit more lemongrass oil around as the wild/feral bees in the chapel wall seem to be crowding out of their entrance so maybe thinking of swarming :Angel_anim:

Had the Bee Inspectors call today not one but two and not the best day for it - rain- but nothing nasty in either colonies.

Colony 1. Over wintered but with 2011 queen. My mentor split some off into a nuc last week ( several Q' cells prescent ) seems intent on either getting shot of HM or swarming, 3 more viable Q'cells prescent today. BI squished them. HM gone off lay and they are storing where she should be laying. Not drawing out new foundation in super?

Colony 2 are busy busy busy and appear to be doing all the right things inspite of my efforts to hinder them.

Interesting 2.5hrs them explaining what, why's and maybe's.

Russ

turned up with intention of homing 3 nucs into 3 full hives. Discovered that bait hive was occupied - nice sized swarm - so they ended up in one of the hives and the weaker nuc was just transferred into a freed up 7 framer. Now need to make up another hive for next week!!!
Bait hive reset.

Russel,

I can see you may need to be concerned with colony 1?

You said: 3 more viable Q'cells prescent today. BI squished them. HM gone off lay

A queen cell from the split may well need to be transferred sharpish (before they all emerge and scrap)?

RAB

OK, so it was yesterday, but.....
Inspected a previously very aggressive nuc at an out-apiary.
Now perfectly calm and docile. Transferred them from nuc into a full hive.
Happy days.

Friday, collected a huge swarm from next doors garden ( which had issued from one of my hives ) neighbour filmed the swarm and the collection, and the hiving late in the evening, will upload the video today.

Russel,

I can see you may need to be concerned with colony 1?

You said: 3 more viable Q'cells prescent today. BI squished them. HM gone off lay

A queen cell from the split may well need to be transferred sharpish (before they all emerge and scrap)?

RAB

Thanks RAB.

This one has been a challenge. Them not sure what they want to do, mentor splitting, BI's squishing and me confused and clueless, great combo.

Will check again tomorrow,see if HM's laying again and may change some undrawn super frames for fresh foundation or "sugar spay" them to tempt them upstairs and see what can be salvaged? Get mentor down too?

Russ

Committed Regicide

One colony has been absolutely impossible for the past two weeks so today bit the bullet.

Jeans thick flannel shirt two bee suits ear guards cap and heavy gauntlets.

Loads of stores - honey and pollen in the brood box 4 frames of brood in all stages and a marked queen (blue). 3 supers bottom drawn and being filled, 2nd almost full not capped, top full capped. By description quite a good colony but by this stage it looked as if a swarm had settled on both arms up to the shoulder.

Decision - unacceptable temperament, queen squished. I will leave them for a week get armoured up again and shake all frames to triple check that I get all the queen cells then introduce a frame of eggs from the laid back colony next door.

Anyone see any flaws in this plan?

One colony has been absolutely impossible for the past two weeks so today bit the bullet.

Jeans thick flannel shirt two bee suits ear guards cap and heavy gauntlets.

Loads of stores - honey and pollen in the brood box 4 frames of brood in all stages and a marked queen (blue). 3 supers bottom drawn and being filled, 2nd almost full not capped, top full capped. By description quite a good colony but by this stage it looked as if a swarm had settled on both arms up to the shoulder.

Decision - unacceptable temperament, queen squished. I will leave them for a week get armoured up again and shake all frames to triple check that I get all the queen cells then introduce a frame of eggs from the laid back colony next door.

Anyone see any flaws in this plan?

only possible flaw is that the drones from this colony could mate with the virgin queen?
how about sieving the drones out as well? ( when you shake out bees, put empty brood box on floor, then a QX, then the brood etc, bees will move up to cover brood, leaving drones below

rgds, Tony

had a visit from the seasonal bee inspector this afternoon, very informative couple of hours!
bees are all good and healthy, btw :)

Hooray! That's good news Tony. My possibly q- colony has got loads and loads of eggs, phew! Whether it's the old q or a new one I have no idea!

She's laying like a good'un! I was sooooo relieved!

Don't know about anyone else, but they also seem to be bringing in more stores now too.

yesterday let my group of beginners of ten weeks that i am mentoring inspect an assocation hive on their own without me watching or interfering , i went away inspected six hives and added three supers and went back to their hive to find they were putting the roof back on having just finished putting back together , all seemed ok

today while up there i could hear a lot of drones buzzing and noticed very few bees foraging from the association hive, then realised they had placed the cover board over the brood and the QE over the supers, locking in the forage bees and drones in the three supers

well i suppose they might have lasted a week in that configuration

Moral check it before they leave next time

I'm making your honey cake tomorrow!

take the cake out 5 minutes before that stated on the recipe.

tracie reckons that if the cake was pricked over ( like a lemon drizzle cake) and then had warmed honey drizzled over it....................................

Latest posts

Back