What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonybloke

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
3 Commercial hives with National supers, Top Bee Space. + 2 Nucs
the title says it all

I applied some fondant to one of my colonies

Last edited by a moderator:
Err, nothing yet. I'll probably let it sort itself out. I do however have a 14x12 BB and numerous frames to build.

Ian

im almost ready, all frames build and supers at the ready, just need to place the supers near my hives for ease and place empty hives ready for any AS that may be needed. Just waiting for the spring to come along

visited the girls a week ago, all fine, cleared the entrances then, so I am an absent parent for a while. Do have a couple of 14x12 BBs and roof kits to knock up though, raining here, good excuse. Coffee anyone?

Watched the rain today.
Watched the mist yesterday.
Watched the frost the day before.
etc.

Tidied around. removed weeds, moved 2 to more suitable area. hefted. Left them in peace.

Nothing today - stuck at work - BOOOOOO!!!

On Sunday I gave them some more fondant - then got a bit nervous as the hive is getting lighter.........

Tidied around. removed weeds, moved 2 to more suitable area. hefted. Left them in peace.

similar

just looked in the entrance and saw activity so let them be

Then a bit of tiding up, cut a large overgrown buddleia back to make way for a new hive and stand Then cleared brambles for another two hive sites and set a couple of second-hand paving slabs in as bases , Then put up a caution bees at work sign

So all i need to do this afternoon is make up the two 14x12 brood boxes, treat two others from Tom Bick ,make ten supers ,then 60 EDN5 frames, 100 SN1, fit 200 spacers, scrap two floor and make two new floors from scratch,, oh forgot the roofs, find where i put those QE, make four dummy boards etc etc....but think i will just make instead a nice cup of TEA then walk the dog as quite depressed as i got the redundancy notice i expected this morning, it is still a shock when it comes though

There was sunshine up till 1ish so i went up to see if they were active and they were, watched them for a bit then started to build a frame ready for covering with netting at the weekend, the first proper anti woody cover.

May I claim the first sting of 2011?

Had the day off today and its a nice mild sunny 9 degrees. Strolled out to view the hives, without protection as all previous visits I'd seen very few bees about (in fact I was worried that one had died off).

Joy or joys, bees buzzing everywhere orientating themselves and doing other stuff. One came to inspect my new haircut at close proximity. Unfortunately it ended up in her demise and a nice lump on my neck.

Well worth it to see them all in action though.

Have just spent a few hours making up brood frames and frames for supers as we've just had two new hives delivered. Barry refuses point blank to make up frames but I find it strangely therapeutic, you can just daydream about warmer weather and bees buzzing in the sunshine

Oh, and found myself with an hour to kill in Lincoln so went and had a browse at Wragby/Rand. Escaped with only minor damage to the pocket.

Made a fine mesh screen for my future sugar dusting trials.

Then watched the bees bringing in pollen. :D

.....but think i will just make instead a nice cup of TEA then walk the dog as quite depressed as i got the redundancy notice i expected this morning, it is still a shock when it comes though

Sorry to hear that MM. There's a lot of it going around, particularly in my industry (property development).

I hope that you secure something else swiftly.

Back