What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear that Neil all my nucs are ok for stores as most have heather stores from last year, im glad I moved most of them up to the heather even though some larger colony’s had nosema and perished.
We’re they a biggish nuc that have staved?
It was a full hive that starved. Most of my colonies are so big this year they eat any stores very quickly and with no income in my village apiaries starvation is always a possibility.
The nucs I’m due to sell were advertised as 5 frame but I’ll sell them as 6 frame which is all brood. They have no stores at all - hence the need for the fondant.

Tbh the temps are far too low and the chilly winds are having a big affect not only on forage but I believe plant nectar production, plenty of pollen but little nectar .
Yesterday I fed three strong colonies with left over set ivy winter stores from 2022, all bereft of stores.

Tbh the temps are far too low and the chilly winds are having a big affect not only on forage but I believe plant nectar production, plenty of pollen but little nectar .
Yesterday I fed three strong colonies with left over set ivy winter stores from 2022, all bereft of stores.
Interestingly mine are going nuts for hawthorn at the moment so presume it must be producing nectar at these lower temperatures.

Lots of reports of hungry bees,mine are the same and some of my Q's have slowed right down laying,there is a trickle of dandelion nectar coming in here which is keeping them going. Saw a utube vid from C Manton a beefarmer whos bees are so hungry they're canibalising the brood,we need some warmth sharpish.

Back