what depth are 12x14 national BB

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
what's the depth of a 14x12 BB , cushmans site does not say, i have been told 12"1/2 (317mm) 314mm and 316mm

or does it matter so long as it is more than frame depth (304mm) plus 10 mm issh

i've found some 14x12 frames and thought i'd make EKe to use them with a standrd dBB...bees over crowded in a standard BB

so 89mm or 92mm eke?

Geoff

bb depth

I've made my boxes 312mm min deep +1mm should give 8mm beespace

made mine 375mm

Why?

To draw drone comb, why not just fit in a standard brood- or super frame and they will build more than enough drone comb on that single frame. Replace with the frame you removed, when not required.

RAB

well that's 12" 9/32 then as my bench saw guide is in imperial

i,ve just run it through the saw at 12 1/4...and a bit....312 exact, good well seasoned ten year old cedar,

measurements

do you measure in Franglase as well

23inches and 2mm for example

forgot the R in franglase

To harvest extra wax :)

Yours Roy

You can achieve the same objective by using your regular Brood chamber with an eke below it.

Just nail up four pieces of timber 75 deep and 460x460mm externally. Or use a 14x12 eke.

You can even use a 14x12 eke under a 14x12 Brood Box if you want to go Extra-Extra deep :) Ha Ha.

what are the suggestions on where to buy red cedar that is that deep for the sides of the 14x12 brood chamber ?

I cannot locate a supply of this depth anywhere, but obviously it must exist.

I'd rather not join two 15.6cm pieces together

Any ideas please ?

best value is to edge join 4x1 cedar. the wider timbers are relatively much more expensive and it's actually more stable to edge join some boards if you have the kit to get nice square edges.

or use ply if you're not too bothered about finish

cheers

Nick

with modern glues there's no need to biscuit. a biscuit is only really used nowadays to ensure that the surfaces end up in line with each other. they could add some strength but not worth the effort and expense when the glues are so good these days. what's necessary is carefully planed surfaces (think biggish machine) and sash cramps.

hth

cheers

Nick

what are the suggestions on where to buy red cedar that is that deep for the sides of the 14x12 brood chamber ?

I cannot locate a supply of this depth anywhere, but obviously it must exist.

I'd rather not join two 15.6cm pieces together

Any ideas please ?

Dont join.

Use ply or get Hivemaker to supply boards to a finished size and pay his price.

JC.

In other words, you gotta start with a tree ! ;)

Ha Ha, first find your high density expanded polystyrene TREE then, ... ;)

Latest posts

Back