What could have caused this?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmcc

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
Did an inspection today. In the super, where the bees have drawn comb and started to store there was a section on the comb that looked like someone had pushed something up against it, leaving the edges of the cells crushed a little, only slightly, but obvious. There was nothing in there unusual, and nothing wrong with the facing comb. Mentor reckons something could have got in, but no evidence of this. What could it be? It was about the size and width of a thumb, but no-one else has inspected and this is on comb drawn since last inspection. Any ideas oh experienced ones?

I suspect a mouse.

I bitterly regret not putting mouseguards on all the hives last Winter.

A bit of a worry , if it's in the super and you have a queen excluder fitted I would say not a mouse unless there is a gap in the crown board / roof area .
Usually a mouse will eat a section from stores not just flatten out the wax before it is chased out .
Can you put a tell tale of some sort on the hive so if someone does interfere with it you can spot it ? A thin piece of tape between the two boxes would do it , round the back though where it wont be seen .
Odd one this .
George

A bit of a worry , if it's in the super and you have a queen excluder fitted I would say not a mouse unless there is a gap in the crown board / roof area .
Usually a mouse will eat a section from stores not just flatten out the wax before it is chased out .
Can you put a tell tale of some sort on the hive so if someone does interfere with it you can spot it ? A thin piece of tape between the two boxes would do it , round the back though where it wont be seen .
Odd one this .
George

You may be onto something here. We had someone cut the trees around the hive and he has his own bees. I wasn't there and I have a sneaky suspicion one of the others on the project might have arranged a sneaky look. I will put something on as I won't be happy if they've been disturbed when our mentor specifically told us not to. They aren't toys or curiosities. A bit of detective work is called for me thinks. :cuss:

Buy a jack in the box toy with a bee in it. Set up to a trip wire... should frighten the life out of them...bee-smilliebee-smillie

Buy a jack in the box toy with a bee in it. Set up to a trip wire... should frighten the life out of them...bee-smilliebee-smillie

Lmao, might not have to after the mood they were in yesterday. I think this is right, just had an invite to inspect without our mentor. Turned it down of course and gave a reasoned arguement why it isn't a good idea....whether any notice is taken or not, we'll have to see. Problem is, they are not my bees, they belong to the school, and no-one made me the boss. I really don't know what to do :( That means they would have been messed with 3 times in 1 1/2 weeks. Can't be good for them in this weather.

Been put in a very bad position :(

Hi Kazmcc
Sounds like you need some more strictly laid out rules about when the hive is inspected.
Do you have a quilt on the top? If you did, then if people want to see what the bees are doing they could without disturbing them as much.Would this help?
Cazza

can you post a photo so we can see what the damage looks like?

it sounds like some one may have accidentally crushed the comb when taking a frame out. the frame needs to be lifted out perfectly parallel to the ones either side of it else it will catch on the top of the adjacent frame.

My bees really don't like drawing out nice level comb and the surface of the super frames in particular was always very undulating with the cells protruding quite far out in some places. of course, where this happened it was not possible for the bees to draw out the comb on the adjacent frame properly so I ended up with tumps and hollows.

The upshot of this was that when I tried to remove a frame with a "bulge" in the comb, it rubbed against the frame next to it and ripped the tops off spilling honey everywhere :(

Put a chain and padlock around it/them.... on the grounds of safety....

Hi Kazmcc

Its a common problem that new bee keepers open their hives far too often just to take a quick look inside which can often lead to the colonies temperament turning sour at times. I would recommend you talk to all the people who manage the hive whilst your mentor is there and ask the mentor to advise the group when and how often the hive should be opened.

What you require is an apiary manager with sole responsibility for all manipulations ! you will also need a couple of trusted aides so you can delegate inspections when you aren't available!.
Try(weather permitting) to tailor some of your inspections to coincide with an attendance of other members . Insist that the hive is opened for a valid (beekeeping )reason not for the curiosity factor.
Remember , some of your group will be thinking of becoming beekeepers whilst some will always be on lookers LOL. Look to the aspiring beekeepers when choosing your aides.
Insist on record keeping ,with a requirement that every inspection is recorded along with all actions taken and duly signed , otherwise the left hand will quickly loose touch with the right hand and the project will falter !!

After the first flush of 'bee ownership',a couple of stalwarts will remain interested ,leaving you to sort out some kind of rota to share the work . Varroa treatments , winter preparations , plans for next Spring (swarming, expansion etc.) plus the sourcing of said treatments , sugar syrup, dispensers of same , preparation of same!
You have not too much time to get this organised , so my advice would be , arrange a meeting with your mentor, invite potential helpers , have a check list of points to make in order to prevent said meeting diverting from the main issues (leaving you frustrated) .
Finally if you think the managers job is for you GO FOR IT GIRL!!!!

John Wilkinson

Fully agree with that.

but perhaps also with a second-in-command as opposed to aides?

Fully agree with that.

but perhaps also with a second-in-command as opposed to aides?

I'm not too sure about second in command on such a small project , it could lead to a clash of personalities?
Always having decisions questioned ! Whereas (carefully chosen) aides, assist rather than challenge every request.
I'm glad the decision isn't mine :grouphug:

John Wilkinson

I am apiary manager at 2 out sites- sharing with an experienced keeper at one (she cares for 3 and I have 2,) and a new beekeeper (to teach whilst he lifts heavy stuff) at the other, with 4 hives.
I would verbally nail to the floor anyone found to be opening my hives whilst I wasn't there.
1) RUDE
2) Disruptive
3) Damaging

Thanks everyone. The situation is this. Me and this bloke are supposed to be the keepers of the bees. Our mentor is to train us as we go. There are about 3 or 4 people who observe our training, but ultimately, it's up to me and this one bloke. Here lies the problem. When he volunteered, he said nothing about his crazy work commitments. He flies abroad, a different country each week with work. I am trying like crazy to juggle his schedule with that of our mentors, but unfortunatly, it can't always be arranged that both can be where they need to be when the bees need tending. This other bloke has missed a couple of inspections now, and I think he is just itching to look inside the hive. I have to pop down to the school to tend the garden and always nip over to the bees just to make sure they are not under wasp attack or the hive has been damaged externally. I have seen him there a few times, not suited, but then again, he has been happy at inspections ( not at our hive ) to inspect without protection. I think he feels he's missing out and just wants to look at them. My worry is, that although they are nice bees, they won't remain that way if they keep getting messed with. They were quite tetchy last inspection due to the weather, and if ( as he is quite clumsy ) he does something that makes them angry, and for some reason they attack, that's the end of our project. No school is going to allow bees that attack people and rightly so. I have sent him a stern email this morning, as although no-one has made me boss, I have put too much into this project to let some curious fool jeapordise it. What worrys me is that he reckons he's bought a book to read up, yet doesn't know simple terms like peppering, and the difference between capped brood and capped honey. I am having to explain these things and I'm a beginner myself. So, if he's as interested as he seems, why hasn't he done his homework? :beatdeadhorse5:

I just wish he'd get his own bees and leave me to it as I can see us not getting along if this carries on. Maybe I am being too harsh on him, but he just doesn't see the danger.

PS I am putting myself forward as The boss, and that's that lol, the boss needs to be someone who listens precisely to instructions, tries to learn all about the art of bee keeping, and also respects the bees and the danger they can present. He is none of these things. :rant:

Well done Kazmcc I think the right decision. The project looks fantastic and great for the children.

Who owns the land? Is the land fenced in?

Is he tresspassing? ( Not a criminal offence but might put him off.)

Strange man seen lurking around on school grounds.

Latest posts

Back