What colour to mark a queen in a swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3509

House Bee
Reaction score
Simple question - if you hive a swarm with an unmarked queen, what colour do you mark her if you are using the WYRGB system?

Mark them in a easily seen colour: white.

Then easily found if horrible.

for me, if they are not laying and a cast....i wait until i see eggs and then mark as that year
if already laying....i have chosen white as my bland colour
i also record the date they were first found to be laying

I mark with what ever colour I pick up White tippex or dayglo pink or green Toma pen, I simply add queen age in notes heading or note it as a swarm queen and tend to go with the previous year as age.

I use a fluorescent orange for my unknown years, red can fades sometimes so can look pink-ish.

Anything but the standard WYRGB colours is good I think.

What type of pens do you recommend for marking Queens and also if writing numbers on frames? Do any type need to be avoided due to toxicity.

Have always used white quick drying nail varnish as it never rubs off!! As advised by a beekeeper who had 50 hives in multiple apiaries and had been involved with bees for over 80 years. He really knew what he was doing!!

Fluorescent pink

I agree - mark them as any colour that is out of the usual sequence.
To be honest, I don't collect swarms anymore but, occasionally, one will move into vacant equipment. I requeen it as soon as I have one of my own queens available.

Have always used white quick drying nail varnish as it never rubs off!! As advised by a beekeeper who had 50 hives in multiple apiaries and had been involved with bees for over 80 years. He really knew what he was doing!!
Thank You, saves money as well as I can pinch the good lady's.

Latest posts

Back