What caused my colonies to fail?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree, all my swarms go into my isolation apiary, of the 5 that were in there at the start of winter I have lost 2 late ones that were weak. The other 3 are very busy and have loads of stores. If they are well behaved in the spring I certainly won't be requeening.
I like to give them a chance and see if they have traits I like,
Did you mark the queens when you established the swarms?
If so, my money would be on the most of the queens currently in the hives being unmarked, ie already superceded.

Did you mark the queens when you established the swarms?
If so, my money would be on the most of the queens currently in the hives being unmarked, ie already superceded.
I mark with fluorescent pink if a prime swarm or the year if a cast and clip as soon as they start laying,

Out of 4 swarms I caught last year three were requeened and I have one at our isolation apiary still with the old queen marked but not clipped.
My reasons for requeening the three was so I could use the stock pretty much straight away after assessment, treatment and feeding.
I don't want to wait to see what unknown stock are like as I have enough to rear from it just adds to the work load.
As per my photo (avatar) this colony are the remaining swarmed queen which I fed yesterday.

This is the 24 hr drop after my second vape…way more mites. I used two scoops of apibioxal this time whereas just one for the first vape (I think the instructions say just use one). Is that likely the reason for the difference or is it due to mites emerging from cells that were capped during the first vape?

1A1B5AD7-84D6-402B-B647-7A271C717D93.jpeg41C1FD6E-20AE-42F0-BF74-80FB546381ED.jpeg

This is the 24 hr drop after my second vape…way more mites. I used two scoops of apibioxal this time whereas just one for the first vape (I think the instructions say just use one). Is that likely the reason for the difference or is it due to mites emerging from cells that were capped during the first vape?

View attachment 30060View attachment 30061
Why did you use double the quantity? The instructions have been carefully put together and tested to ensure no harm comes to the bees, so important to follow correctly, you could do more harm than good.

You won’t find any instructions on the packet on multiple vaps, however doubling just isn’t a good idea and won’t double the effectiveness.

After all you wouldn’t double your dose of antibiotics if prescribed by your doctor!

Why did you use double the quantity? The instructions have been carefully put together and tested to ensure no harm comes to the bees, so important to follow correctly, you could do more harm than good.

You won’t find any instructions on the packet on multiple vaps, however doubling just isn’t a good idea and won’t double the effectiveness.

After all you wouldn’t double your dose of antibiotics if prescribed by your doctor!

Because I’ve been told the scoop only gives a 1.5g measure.I think the gas vap instructions say to use one scoop. But the apibioxal instructions say to use 2.3g. My bees are on brood and a half so I rounded it up to two level scoops…does this seem sensible or not?

Because I’ve been told the scoop only gives a 1.5g measure.I think the gas vap instructions say to use one scoop. But the apibioxal instructions say to use 2.3g. My bees are on brood and a half so I rounded it up to two level scoops…does this seem sensible or not?
Don’t adjust just follow the instructions. Unfortunately guidance isn’t given on the exact size of the colony. I’ve read experienced scientists say just follow the instructions ie 2.3g per colony. The only exception i’d personally make is it was a small Nuc in a small box I would adjust down.

Why did you use double the quantity
because the optimum amount of OA used in a single vape should be 2.3 g or more (more won't harm the bees) to ensure an effective vape

Last edited:
yes sounds sensible but for future reference they found that the 2.3g was sufficient for either a single or a double brood. I usually weigh out around 2.5 to 2.6 g per dose as I sublimate through the OMF

Last edited:
forget the scoop altogether, get a pack of these off fleabay
pots.jpg
They take a couple of grams nicely, weigh them out in the comfort of your own home, they can be stored for later for rush jobs. All you have to do in the apiary is unscrew the cap and chuck the OA into your chosen delivery system and you're good to go. Better than struggling in the wind or the rain measuring the stuff out next to the hive.

Has anyone got one of these and a gas vap scoop, and some api bioxal? If so would be interested to hear what weight it holds.
A gas vap scoop holds a little over 1.5g of oxalic acid. If you use Apibioxal, it would of course be a little less.

forget the scoop altogether, get a pack of these off fleabay
View attachment 30110
They take a couple of grams nicely, weigh them out in the comfort of your own home, they can be stored for later for rush jobs. All you have to do in the apiary is unscrew the cap and chuck the OA into your chosen delivery system and you're good to go. Better than struggling in the wind or the rain measuring the stuff out next to the hive.
Thanks! what are they called?

Back