What books are you reading poll

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the beehive lodge

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm reading The Bad Beekeepers Club By Bill Turnbull (BBC news presenter)
Its how he started his much loved hobby
rating 8 for a good read not sure about education in beekeeping yet but will rate it as i get my nose into it more

So Book that you are reading and rate it for
interesting reading /funny side of our little girls
easy reading
educational value
price value
reconmend rate
all out of 10
:grouphug: :lurk5:

Keeping Healthy Honey Bees by Aston and Bucknall

interesting 9/10
easy reading 9/10 (though lacks the quality of prose of Hooper, Manley, Richard Taylor)
educational value 10/10
price value 10/10
reconmend rate 10/10

Back to Hooper for me, only used as needed previously but now reading it front to back.

interesting reading - 10
funny side of our little girls - 0
easy reading - 7
educational value - 9
price value - 10
reconmend rate - 10

Breeding Techniques and Selection for Breeding of the Honeybee by Freidrich Ruttner.

interesting reading - 10
easy reading - 7
educational value - 10
price value - 10
recommend rate - 10

Some very interesting information but I don't understand some of the statistics and charts. I should have taken more notice at uni :conehead:

The Buzz about Bees - Biology of a Superorganism - Jurgen Tautz

easy reading

Some of it is; the genetics is a bit hard going

educational value

10 out of 10

price value

Expensive, but worth it

reconmend rate

Highly recommended

I liked the Bad Beekeepers Club too, though!

Ferret Racing for beginners, good book but am having trouble with the plot :D

Seriously: A World Without Bees by Alison Benjamin & Brian McCall . Interesting but alarmist and am not sure of where they got their information from but will provoke me to look a little deeper and read some more
Cheers
S

The Buzz about Bees - Biology of a Superorganism - Jurgen Tautz

interesting reading - 9
easy reading - 6 - some genetic principles but they don't get bogged down
educational value - 9
price value - 6 - £20+
recommend rate - 8 -

Summary: The book makes you work to understand the principles - and why not! Some of the analogy's get stretched but still makes you think about your own views. The insight into 'why' bees do what they do rather then 'what' they do is the main thing I am taking from this book (not finished it yet)

Recommended

The Hive: The Story of the Honeybee and Us by Bee Wilson.
A great read for anyone interested in bees, and would make a nice gift. It details the way people have characterised bees throughout history, our relationship with them, their symbolism, and some interesting history about beekeeping. Of course, it all reflects as much on the people as on the bees. (For example, the notion that there just had to be a "king bee"....!).

Also: The Quest for the Perfect Hive: A History of Innovation in Bee Culture by Gene Kritsky. The neverending quest! This was another readable little book, with some great old pictures of past "revolutions" in beekeeping, all of which were designed to be the last word in hive perfection.... With the bees gamely coping with it all, as ever.

:eek:Both books go some way to explain the psychology of beekeepers as well as the lifestyle of bees!

Queen Bee: Biology, rearing and breeding y David Woodward

Interesting Reading - 10
Funny side of our little girls - 0
Easy reading - 9
Educational Value - 10
Price value - 8
Recommend rate - 10

Can be a bit heavy in places, but very interesting and some great tips for would be queen breeders.

The Honey Bee inside out, By Celia Davis.
can't actually comment on it, I haven't finished it yet! :D

At the Hive Entrance by H.Storch

Just started it.

Can't say I am reading any bee books as the majority of books tell you the same thing only in a different way.
My books I am into now areHistology Laboratory Methods and Elementary Microtechnique. Extreamly interesting and a break from AFB EFB and over wintering.

Mo

Queens59 let us know what you think of the book as its no my library list and they are struggling to get it so i might have to buy it instead
Will do, I could always stuff it in an envelope when I'm done...a book round robin???

Up date on poll

I'm reading The Bad Beekeepers Club By Bill Turnbull (BBC news presenter)
Its how he started his much loved hobby
rating 8 for a good read not sure about education in beekeeping yet but will rate it as i get my nose into it more

So Book that you are reading and rate it for
easy reading 10
educational value 3
price value borrowed
reconmend rate
all out of 10

I have an unread copy of The Bad Beekeepers Club.
Should we have a competition with it ?
Any ideas ?

Back