What are you reading this winter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know where you have been looking, but if its any help there are a few for sale on the internet, i just took a couple of minutes to look and found them.

I've had a Google and nothing immediately jumps out for purchase. Amazon wants $150+ for the 1st edition - the 2nd edition is much revised and the one to have - AbeBooks doesn't have any at the moment, NBB advertise a copy at £42 but it is their defunct 2010 website...

Serious query if you do know of a source, because it is a very good book and sought-after. I'd consider buying a 2nd copy so that I have a 'nice' one and a reading copy.

HM
Could you pm me the links/details to buy Bailey please?

Eb

Just finished Honey by the Ton (Field) and The Beekeeper's Lament (Nordhaus)

Looking for a good howto on Queen rearing, any suggestions?

David Woodward's queen raising book, followed by Ron Brown's leaflet on mininucs, will give an excellent primer :)

I've had a Google and nothing immediately jumps out for purchase. Amazon wants $150+ for the 1st edition - the 2nd edition is much revised and the one to have - AbeBooks doesn't have any at the moment, NBB advertise a copy at £42 but it is their defunct 2010 website...

Dan
Which year was the 2nd edition published please?

Last edited:
I'm reading Carol Ann Duffy's, "The Bees".

Well, someone has to raise the tone of the Forum.

Dusty.

Read it a few months ago - especially liked the one on the winter cluster - brought a lump to my throat.

Must be going soft in my old age - don't usually give modern poets the time of day :D

As for winter reading i haven't decided yet (read the same amount summer and winter when on board) Probably Manley's Honey farming and beekeeping in Britain and Snelgove's introduction of queen bees (again)
Then in between the usual penny paperback murder/conspiracy mysteries to rest the brain I might revisit Hardy (if he's at home :D)

David Woodward's queen raising book, followed by Ron Brown's leaflet on mininucs, will give an excellent primer :)

Was looking on Amazon on Woodward's book, only one review and that was guy from Scotland (similar climate to me) complaining that was from NZ perspective not great for here. Would you disagree? Don't want to spend £14 if not good for here.

What about Ron Brown's leaflet, here could I source that ?

Thanks

Stephen

Was looking on Amazon on Woodward's book, only one review and that was guy from Scotland (similar climate to me) complaining that was from NZ perspective not great for here. Would you disagree? Don't want to spend £14 if not good for here.

Woodward's book is excellent and relevant to here, just adjust your expectations about how soon virgins will mate.

Was looking on Amazon on Woodward's book, only one review and that was guy from Scotland (similar climate to me) complaining that was from NZ perspective not great for here. Would you disagree?
The reviewer is wrong. Where Woodward teaches in the South East the averages are pretty similar to the lowlands of Scotland. NZ is long and thin, nearly a thousand miles from north to south and on the edge of an ocean, not so different from the UK. It's not a co-incidence that Scottish settlers were attracted to the South of the islands and named towns such as Dunedin, Balclutha and Invercargill.

The book is recent and covers most of the currently available kit, basic principles, techniques and genetics with as much depth as I've seen anywhere in a book of the size. If there's a minor niggle, it's that there's no index but the layout and chapter headings are enough to find your way around.

Just finished At The Hive Entrance. Really interesting though quite dry, and a fair bit irrelevant if you're using OMFs. Very glad to have a copy as a reference book. I like this quote:
The first pollen! Fresh hopes and dreams occupy the thoughts of the beekeeper.
Reading The Hive as well, but finding it quite wordy for tired evening eyes. Learnt a fair bit about the Mormons (and their beekeeping) last night, nice and relevant given the elections.

'Practical Beekeeping and Honey Production' by D T Macfie, a tiny wartime edition I picked up at auction, which looks quite interesting, and I shall be digging back into Beowulf Cooper's 'The Honeybees of the British Isles' (my favourite bee book) and Manley's 'Honey Farming'. Yes of course I know they're out-dated, but I can learn lots from them while enjoying a bit of history and the context of our practices today.
As I know they're out-dated they're not quite such a challenge to my current ways of doing things!
:angelsad2:

'Game of thrones' Awesome book.

:iagree:

"Song of Ice and Fire" series - 7 books, paperback, is on Amazon for about £30

The DVD set is also very good, hoping to watch Season 2 quite soon.

Latest posts

Back