What are you growing this season

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Herefordshire/titterstone clee hill/ Worcestershir
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
86 + nucs/ mini nucs
IMG_20210524_103344.jpgIMG_20210524_103356.jpgIMG_20210524_103440.jpgIMG_20210524_103650.jpgIMG_20210524_103529.jpg
Pic1 12 varieties of perennials.
2. Buddleia cuttings some are mine taken in Feb and are a lovely white one. @B+. And some of your black knight.
3. Carrots.
4. Black currants, more perennials.
5. Lettuce, sweet pea, lobelia, marigold, herbs : Brazil, dill, coriander.
Runner beans are in and I have some tomato plants.
Im waiting for a glazier so hears a thread.

View attachment 26253View attachment 26254View attachment 26255View attachment 26256View attachment 26257
Pic1 12 varieties of perennials.
2. Buddleia cuttings some are mine taken in Feb and are a lovely white one. @B+. And some of your black knight.
3. Carrots.
4. Black currants, more perennials.
5. Lettuce, sweet pea, lobelia, marigold, herbs : Brazil, dill, coriander.
Runner beans are in and I have some tomato plants.
Im waiting for a glazier so hears a thread.
I'm glad to see Royal Mail didn't kill them

They are growing well and the blackcurrants, Both will be planted in the garden when the weather is good.

The black currents were "Ben Sarek". The fruit is the size of marbles after a couple of years. What's more is that you need never be without them again: Just strip pencil thick prunings of most of their leaves and put them in a bucket of water. In Spring, they'll develop white water-roots and you can plant them like any other bush.

But seriously....new this year.....
Peas, shallots, leeks, tomatoes, raspberries, broad beans.
Lots of lavender, nepeta, cosmos and a Montana Rubens clematis.

We also have a good selection of flowering shrubs and perennials (an excess of geraniums) throughout the garden, but not new this year.

Rhubarb, Raspberries red and Yellow, Blueberries and Blackcurrants.
Last few days have had Carder bees pollinating the Blueberries.

Peach, blackberry, blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, apple, fig, plum, gooseberry, tomato and the wife is growing lots of flowers. I couldn't manage the no mow May it was a foot tall so got cut

ceanothus, buddleia, runner French beans. tomatoes, dahlias, nemesia (lots), phacelia, opium poppies (hundreds), flowering current ,rasps, weeds (lots)

Well done mark, we have had a disaster with carrots and parsnips germinating this year. I think we have about five of each! On the other hand we have about 200 shallots and out garlic is amazing. The giant ones are truly giant. The melons are just beginning to flower. Could be a god year for all but carrots and parsnips!

Well done mark, we have had a disaster with carrots and parsnips germinating this year. I think we have about five of each! On the other hand we have about 200 shallots and out garlic is amazing. The giant ones are truly giant. The melons are just beginning to flower. Could be a god year for all but carrots and parsnips!
I never do very well with carrots the photo was 8 days ago just went out and took this. I think watering every day has helped. IMG_20210626_091952.jpg

Harvesting carrots 16281901630876399552722091279412.jpg
Starting to clear the bed ready for winter lettuce and cabbage, sprouts etc. In between extracting summer honey!
Edit: chopping carrots while listening to ' harvest album by Neil young' good old alexa!!

Last edited:
I cheat with parsnips and buy plugs. Carrots have been great in poly tunnel. Tried Florence fennel for the first time this year and that is really juicy

Had a brilliant onion and garlic crop. Giant garlic are good. Everything growing like mad this year because of the conditions. Pity the carrots were poor. We have a few but ..... I blame the seed😀

Had a brilliant onion and garlic crop. Giant garlic are good. Everything growing like mad this year because of the conditions. Pity the carrots were poor. We have a few but ..... I blame the seed😀
My onions were very small this year ... same problem with the shallots. Did you overwinter your onions or did you spring plant ? I planted mine spring and they all came up but just didn't grow in size like they usually do ... lots of pickled shallots and onions this year ....

My onions were very small this year ... same problem with the shallots. Did you overwinter your onions or did you spring plant ? I planted mine spring and they all came up but just didn't grow in size like they usually do ... lots of pickled shallots and onions this year ....
Shallots in winter (hatif de Niort) or march for picasso, two different varieties. Onion seed in January/ February. Elephant garlic in September.

Latest posts

Back