What are they dooin?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugfan

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
Hi

Every night some of the bees in this hive decide its better to spend the night on the porch.

Do you think this is because it is very mild, and they are comfortable outside or may there be another reason that I have not have considered?

This was a five frame nuke, placed in a full size national late June, which I have been feeding since. This is the only hive I have ever had in my garden, meaning that I have spent much more time observing it than any other as all others are in out apiaries. There is 7 frames with brood, eggs etc and the Queen is present. All was well within the hive (as far as I can tell) on Saturday’s inspection.

Here is a photo to help explain. This was taken at 21.30 this evening, and I expect the bees to remain there all night as they have done for a few weeks now unless it’s raining!

Many thanks

Last edited:
It might be that as you have the BB the "cold" way round and the bees are clustering on the end of the bar, over hanging it a bit.

Mike

On a side note you might want to put a paving slab under those concrete blocks (stops the grass growing into the hive).

There just hanging out it is warm at the moment.

They look as though they are 'bearding'.

It might be time to stop feeding as they're hanging out cos it's too hot/crowded. You say there's 7 frames of brood. If the other 4 frames are packed with stores then hang back.

Overfeeding at this time of the year can lead to a late swarm which may be a disaster for you

If you have been feeding then you wont have a super on. I wonder whether they might feel too hot and crowded.
I got a nuke in June and put it into a commercial which is a lot bigger than a national. They got crowded and I have had to put two supers on to stop them jumping out of the hive. As it was new foundation they would not cross the queen excluder so I had to take that out. The lower super now seems packed full of bee, all busy at work.
I dare not wait for them to pull out all the brood box foundation because they might disappear over the horizon - I learnt that lesson last year.

Last edited:
Hey

Thanks for the help.

Do you think I should add a super then?

There appears to be splashes of feed/honey around entrance, plus what looks like a rejected larva on the right hand concrete block ?

John Wilkinson

Hi

The wet stuff is just water from the showers, and thats a slug (it does look like a larva in the photo though) on the block on the right.

I will feed no more, unless needed towards the winter

Thanks again

Yep I blew up the pic and recognised the wee slug GRRRrr!!.
I've had huge things caught in wasp traps, makes you wonder how they get in through tiny wasp sized holes , glad they do, as they invade my hives given a chance :).

John Wilkinson

Check that the bees have honey in there. It is easier to put on a super than chase the little blighters after they have swarmed.
Last year with my first ever colony nI was waiting for them to draw out all the foundation in the brood box. Before i knew it there were off. Took me several hours to bring them home again. Also taught me always to have spare equipment to hand.

Latest posts

Back