What are these?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzle

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi All,

I placed a swarm trap out the other week and lifted the lid today to find these under the lid. What are they?

I initially though they might be wasp larvae but after looking it up they dont seem to match. The outside looks like cardboard and the one on the right already hatched.

20200519-161101.jpg

No idea but I would guess a solitary bee of some sort
E

Yep. Mason bees.
I have them in my bee hotels.
If you look on this Sunday’s Countryfile on iPlayer they had a nice little piece on them.

Ok, thanks for confirming. I would have left them alone if I had off known they were there but she built under the lid. Will check out countryfile episode, thanks.

after mating, each female builds its own nest; she lines each 'cell' with mud and pollen and lays a single egg in each until the cavity is full. The larvae hatch and develop, pupating in autumn and hibernating over winter.

I assume the other larvae had died since one appeared to hatch while the others were not moving?

after mating, each female builds its own nest; she lines each 'cell' with mud and pollen and lays a single egg in each until the cavity is full. The larvae hatch and develop, pupating in autumn and hibernating over winter.

I assume the other larvae had died since one appeared to hatch while the others were not moving?

Those are eggs lying on a bed of pollen
Beautifully shown in your photo

OFF THREAD QUESTION

Today, It was hot so I removed the lid from my compost bin and added some water which was absorbed. The lid was left off. Later in the day I noticed two wasps on the contents and one at a side ventilation slot. The wasps were different from the ones I see flying around my hives, stored supers and flowers. They had wasp markings but were bigger and had fatter abdomens.

Any ideas ??

OFF THREAD QUESTION

Today, It was hot so I removed the lid from my compost bin and added some water which was absorbed. The lid was left off. Later in the day I noticed two wasps on the contents and one at a side ventilation slot. The wasps were different from the ones I see flying around my hives, stored supers and flowers. They had wasp markings but were bigger and had fatter abdomens.

Any ideas ??
Could be European hornet? Fascinating creatures and they hang around hives. They look just like a wasp, but are much bigger!

Latest posts

Back