What an itch!!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrB

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
took another sting yesterday at our local BKA,
it is a sting to the hand through nitrile gloves just at the base of the 2nd finger.
a bit sore as it went in then nothing else realy untill this morning.
it isnt hurting but is now quite swollen, but the itching is driving me mad!!!
i feel like chopping my hand off to stop it!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

get some calamine cream (not lotion as it turns to powder) and put it in the fridge for a while before putting it on - what a relief!!!

bee-smillie

i have some antihistamine cream but doesn't seem to do much :(

perhaps the calamine next time!

I would recommend it - my bees got very hacked off with the front of my trousers last Sunday (I think there was something on it) and I got stung at least 20 times. Monday they all blistered and it felt like my leg was on fire - blew up enormous as well. The calamine lotion was absolute bliss!

:rofl:

That does look itchy though! Shame I can't post some of my nice cold calamine cream on here for you!

I did think about putting a photo of my leg on here for all to see but it would probably have a 'censored' across it !

One of the blisters will not go and is now turning all bloody - nice......

:smilielol5:

I go caught for the 1st time on Saturday - one sting on the front of each thigh. 1 size of a 2p piece no itching, or pain, or swelling on right thigh...on my left however, 9 inches by 6, stings, throbs, extremely swollen and want to cut my leg off - I knew I became a beek for a reason....I've always liked pain...NOT!

What am I thinking? I must be insane :leaving:

I suppose it has to happen one day, I think I've made it worse in my head and it probably isn't as bad as I've imagined. Funny though it isn't putting me off, maybe bee keepers have a few fear cells missing that the ordinary public have plenty of. ;)

Why do these things get posted before I am due at a hive? All weekend I've been discussing laying workers and collecting swarms, then just before I am due at a hive, it's killed chickens and swollen hands........and daft old me clicks on this stuff lol

Off to the chemist tomorrow to buy aloe vera, calamine cream and I'm going to fill my ice cube tray, already got anti histamine tabs last week :p

Whenever you get stung just remind yourself that some people pay a lot of money for apitherapy :)

its normal, you keep bees you get stung and it hurts (sometimes big time), what else do you think is going to happen when you keep bees?

a bumble bee got me yesterday through 3 layers!!! that I didnt expect lol

I know, I know. I'm hooked now though so there's no going back :)

My bees are really calm, but unsurprisingly even they don't like being squashed when I lift a super. I've done the same thing twice now - there has been a bee lurking under the ledge at the side where I put my hand and I've been stung on my finger. You'd think I'd learn!!:banghead:

And both times it didn't nurt and I didn't have any reaction at all, so I'm there gloating, until the next day my finger looks like a sausage and is throbbing and itching like mad!

I was told that you don't get immunity from bee stings.

I'm not so sure, the first one I had, and my wrist came up like a baloon.

Second, just little bump, and not much pain after the initial sting.

Had several since, just a mild itch.

Did catch for on on my cheek bone, lots of swelling, a huge amount of fluid, but no pain or itch.

Wimps!
Put up with the pain and itching and remember that suffering is good for the soul. :)
A sting doesnt hurt as much as say hitting your thumb with a hammer, but DIYers don't go on about how best to treat a bruised thumb.
Also, a sting is a minor reprimand for a mistake, so it's your own fault.

OK, so there's a danger of anaphylaxis, but the LD50 for bee venom is equivalent to about 600 stings!

Cetirizine Dihydrochloride 10mg

Some time ago when stings reacted very badly on me, my quack recommended Cetirizine Dihydrochloride 10mg, available off the shelf without prescription from the local pharmacist at £2.99 for 30. They worked brilliantly both in regard to the itching throughout the night and the swellings. My hand and forearm were like the hind leg of lamb sometimes. Now I have immunity and virtually nil reaction at all (stung 3 times yesterday and can't find where) but my wife still insists on a pill - "just in case" she says. :hurray: Yes - just another pill to add to the others that this geriatric has to down daily but it's worth it at the price.

Latest posts

Back