What am I seeing and what do I do?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
Checked hive an hour ago - bees still ignoring super - so have left off QE when reassembled but they following images are from the bottom of the BB frames. Should I AS?

Don't think so - I could see drone cells elsewhere - my first thought was QC, especially first image far right?

Pictures can be deceiving. A couple of close-ups of that far right area would be good. Likely a queencell. Is there anything in it? Is it capped? If capped, do you have a queen? 'Cos you won't be A/Sing if there is no queen there! Is this the only one which looks like it might be a queen cell? Or are there any others secreted away on other frames. Are there eggs? Standing on end, or laying down?

Without trawling back through your threads, not sure what might be going on, but likely something.

Regards, RAB

OK - the cells are empty, none are capped, and there are three that look like QCs.

My Queen still happily laying a few frames away.

They are still ignoring the super and the BB is absolutely overflowing, I thought maybe they didn't like the slotted zinc excluder, so have temporarily removed it.

OK - the cells are empty, none are capped, and there are three that look like QCs.

My Queen still happily laying a few frames away.

They are still ignoring the super and the BB is absolutely overflowing, I thought maybe they didn't like the slotted zinc excluder, so have temporarily removed it.

just break the QC with your hive tool just to be sure, that the queen has/will not lay an egg it them,

have you tried placing a super frame for a day or two in ther Brood, or is it too full or would you get a unspaced frame in instead of the dummy

You may find it easier to remove the lifts down to the crownboard when inspecting a WBC.

Its easy to knock the frames/kill the queen/roll the bees when working with to many lifts on the hive.

Thanks all - have done as suggested. I can't fit a super into the BB, did try one instead of a dummy and they STILL ignored it. The foundation came from the same place at the same time as BB, and they have had no probs there. Just slow on the uptake or happy with overflowing BB, who knows?

Thanks for the hint on the lifts Admin, will do so. Must admit I am finding the WBC really hard work so will save up and replace it. It was a freebie, the only reason I could start - but sooo heavy! Anyway thanks all

Hi, has anyone tried putting some bees into the super, leaving the QX on. Would the bees in the super then find there way down and by doing so would it encourage the bees up. Or would the bees in the super just come down. Just wondering.

There are bees in the super - they just don't do anything...they act like they haven't seen foundation before, even though they pulled out 5 frames in the BB!

Hi, has anyone tried putting some bees into the super, leaving the QX on. Would the bees in the super then find there way down and by doing so would it encourage the bees up. Or would the bees in the super just come down. Just wondering.

if you shake bees in the super, they just migrate down to what ever role they have...so days olds..cleaning...nursebees, forgages, mortary bees and grumpy guards

some bees dont like the slotted QX, and you get diffenrent views
as to slots with the frames or at 90 degrees, i only use wire ones, expect one for keepimng a swarm in a hive because the slimmed queen in a swarm can get through a wire QE

old foundation doesnt work well, but once you have last years super frame comb you can add the odd foundation frame without a problem...bees seem to like compact nest sometimes

it can be lack of young wax producing bees, in a nuc, if you feed too much syrup then at around two-three weeks after laying, you get honey block...not enough young bees to produce the wax to biuld comb...but all the talk is you must feed them a gallon....do that and you can get QC

Last edited:
Haven't fed them - so at least I know I haven't done that wrong!!

i've got the reseverse problem, left a manley frame of super foundation on a frame hanger on one of my hive. it had got mixed in with SN1s...remembered tonight..B*GGER.went back at 8:00 ...bees drawing out the foundation on the dark side between frame to brood box

"old foundation doesnt work well.."

don't think it is an absolut truth. i have done this year all my 200+ super frames ca 10 year old foundation and haven't had any problems with drawing it. Had this leftover from my before university beekeeping and managed to get it here. i think bees know the best what they need and will get it drawn as soon as they need it.

Cheers,
Lauri

Queens59,sometimes they need a good flow on to draw foundation in supers.

Are the bees leaving the hive like bullets and coming back with their bums low ?

Yep, and sometimes landing 6 at a time. The frames are overful with honey, capped off and dripping! PH suggested that I let them have the 'super' as half a BB so will try that just to cure overcrowding. I wasn't expecting honey this year so them having a super or not doesn't really matter. I can always give them another!

Latest posts

Back