What a mess!!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdoc

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It all started out in the usual way. You make a mental list of the things you intend to do at the apiary and prepare for the unexpected. Well that was the plan anyway. Due to work pressure and other commitments, I had to get the last of my honey off midday today. The knowledge that Ivy had burst bud added to the haste. Three hives were the target. The first mess was trying to get the smoker to stay alight, the second was some very upset bees (I normally inspect after 6pm). Got through the first hive taking a few capped frames and leaving the rest. However, the second hive was mental, I was stung six times in the time it takes to say six!. The smoker went out so I beat a retreat and returned with the smoker sort of spluttering. Another two stings and then horror, there's brood in my super. At this point I'd had about enough of the bombardment so closed up and left.
Reflecting on the drive home, I thought to myself this kind of experience happening to someone who has not been completely hooked by this craft, would have them thinking about giving up. I confess to a split second of thought along those lines. However, I will ponder the whys and whats over a brew and will probably go back next time and find a completely different reception. Still need to know how a queen got up into the super. Problem with a new qx from a well known supplier?
:willy_nilly:

sorry to hear about your bad day six stings owch, i have herd about queens being small enough to get through a qe did you see eggs in the bb ? or mabe have a look next time you may just have a small queen, just a thought :willy_nilly:

I think your right that you will go back on another occasion and everything will be fine, Some one has a signature on her, can not remember what it say but something about the stress and horrors of beekeeping then there the sheer enjoyment. Good luck thing will work out fine.

Oh and Village stop stalking me.

Back in the spring I found a queen on the undersurface of the crown board above the super, in a hive with a queen excluder.

I think your right that you will go back on another occasion and everything will be fine, Some one has a signature on her, can not remember what it say but something about the stress and horrors of beekeeping then there the sheer enjoyment. Good luck thing will work out fine.

Oh and Village stop stalking me.

ha ha you mean..... being a beekeeper is alike being an expert in feelings of panic, relief and despair interspersed with brief moments of deep joy and contentment by Jenkinsbrynmair

I guess after the summer we have all had, and the amount of q- to q+ and back again, the last thing I needed was brood in all stages in my super. I might add that the queen (who should be downstairs) was large and fat a week or so ago. No doubt I'll discover who's upstairs and sort it out, but time is not on our side at this time of year.

We all feel like that sometimes and think why do I bother but it is our passion and inner strength that keeps us going, just think of the good times happy days

I also opened up today to get the last of the honey harvest off.

Roof off and upside-down on the ground. Honey super cleared away. Take brood super off the hive and place onto the upside-down roof while I'm checking frames in the brood box below.

Pick up brood super to put back on top of brood box. Then, as I hear the crunching noise of bees being crushed, I suddenly realise the roof has come with, stuck to the propolis on the brood super and I have laid the roof on the top of the brood box frames, crushing several hundred bees.

More worry: did I kill the Queen, yet again?!

Honestly. Will I never learn!?!?!?

Give your smoker a really good sccrapedown rocdoc, sounds like not enough air!
E

Clean out the fire box and make sure the air hole is clear, find some really rotten wood and have a think about your PPE.

PH

sorry to hear about your bad day six stings owch, i have herd about queens being small enough to get through a qe did you see eggs in the bb ? or mabe have a look next time you may just have a small queen, just a thought :willy_nilly:

Madame (see photo in the Queen marking thread) is small enough to transit the QE, standard old-fashioned steel rod type. Suspect from observation these QEs are safer and easier to squeeze through than more modern/cheaper types. This one is ancient and a very slightly wider gauge than T....'s of a couple of years ago.
:rolleyes:

The QE was one of those new galvanized slot types, all my other hives are on the old fashioned steel rod type. I was using to sorts of smoker today, one is what I'd call a standard smoker, while the other is a slim Victorian style with a long flattened snout, ideal for puffing just under the crown board. I will take your advice and give both a serious clean tomorrow and try and find some dry soft punk wood at the same time.
Thanks all, its always good to get a boost from the kind souls on this forum when you have one of those flagging days.
not worthy

I would dump your victorian one. A good smoker is a requirement really, and if it cannot be trusted then....

And if 6 stings has a body backing off some thinking about protection is required. Frankly 6 are nothing.
PH

The QE was one of those new galvanized slot types, all my other hives are on the old fashioned steel rod type. I was using to sorts of smoker today, one is what I'd call a standard smoker, while the other is a slim Victorian style with a long flattened snout, ideal for puffing just under the crown board. I will take your advice and give both a serious clean tomorrow and try and find some dry soft punk wood at the same time.
Thanks all, its always good to get a boost from the kind souls on this forum when you have one of those flagging days.
not worthy

The galvanized pressed slotted QE are awful to the bees with such sharp edges. Really not good for them at all. The rod type are a lot friendlier and very easy to clean and will probably last for ever if looked after.
I too have had the queen up in the supers laying like no tomorrow. I always have a quick check of the super frames now just to see she hasn't squeezed up in there. If there is one thing bees teach us, it's PATIENCE. :)

I also opened up today to get the last of the honey harvest off.

Roof off and upside-down on the ground. Honey super cleared away. Take brood super off the hive and place onto the upside-down roof while I'm checking frames in the brood box below.

Pick up brood super to put back on top of brood box. Then, as I hear the crunching noise of bees being crushed, I suddenly realise the roof has come with, stuck to the propolis on the brood super and I have laid the roof on the top of the brood box frames, crushing several hundred bees.

More worry: did I kill the Queen, yet again?!

Honestly. Will I never learn!?!?!?

Do you not put your super diagonal across the roof? If not maybe you should as it stops sticking as much and the crushing of bees. Just a thought.

Some people think I'm bonkers
But I just think I'm free
Man, I'm just livin' my life
There's nothin' crazy about me
(Dizzee Rascal)

Nice one Drew. We will all dowload that one! Actually think its part of the family collection.

I slipped and dropped a BB yesterday. It wasn't pretty.
I thank my PPE and dread to think what would have happened without it. You need better protection if you took 6 stings. ( Sorry PH but 6 stings is a big deal to me.)
Cazza

When I worked for ChrisB earlier this year I took a dozen stings just to the index fingers during one hive inspection:eek: (I was assured that I hadn't been given the hive from hell - I think PeteD had booby trapped it!) - you get used to it: the only day we didn't get stung was when we were moving hives 60 miles in the pouring rain!:D

Latest posts

Back