What’s this plant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a relatively cheap outdoor camera which is fab. I love playing it back the next morning to see what's been roaming the night before. Lovely to see the hedgehog plodding down the path.
This sounds like a recommendation. Would you mind posting which one? Tx

Talking of hedgehogs we have a hedgehog preservation association near where we live The British Hedgehog Preservation Society
We also spend alot of time in the autumn going out for walks at night to spot them, also under one of the pallets in one of the sheds they hibernate very regularly.
There’s a hedgehog charity about 10 miles away. I contacted them last year to offer re-homing as we have a 4 acres of land, about half is wooded and quite a bit left wild with a stream running though and piles of branches we’ve made for wildlife. They were most concerned about presence of badgers (never seen one or evidence of one in the 12 years we’ve been here). So far we’ve rehoused 3, one was an albino. Haven’t seen them since but lots of places to hide and they’re nocturnal 💤 Want to re-home more. Hubby got a wildlife camera at Xmas

We have a house. My youngest built a lovely one as part of his Cub Scout conservation badge. No interest at all. We are on a busy main road too.
If you are on a busy main road then it's a good thing that hedgehogs are avoiding your garden. Giving the house away to some body who lives in a safer area might be a thing to consider as well.

There’s a hedgehog charity about 10 miles away. I contacted them last year to offer re-homing as we have a 4 acres of land, about half is wooded and quite a bit left wild with a stream running though and piles of branches we’ve made for wildlife. They were most concerned about presence of badgers (never seen one or evidence of one in the 12 years we’ve been here). So far we’ve rehoused 3, one was an albino. Haven’t seen them since but lots of places to hide and they’re nocturnal 💤 Want to re-home more. Hubby got a wildlife camera at Xmas
4 acres, that sounds amazing. Keep us posted what turns up on the camera

The scabious was one of my show stopping plants. I dead headed it regularly and the blooms kept coming right into the autumn

Attachments

• 20210903_164432.jpg
    20210903_164432.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 12
Our local foxes ate the only hedgehogs we had.

(There is a large den in the field behind us : under a 30meter high tree.)

We have a similarly semi-managed couple of acres where the bees are - old grazing pasture where we have planted fruit & native trees and not done much else. Last year the local council did a survey so they could call it a site with "wildlife value", as a bit of protection against planning. They found 95 species of flora and, on the land or nearby...

Muntjac, Fox, Badger four species of bats, Field Voles. Hedgehogs, Barn Owls, Red Kite, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Kestrel, Tawny Owl, Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Song Thrush, Dunnock, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Long-tailed Tit, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Bullfinch, Mistle Thrush, Starling, House Sparrow, Song Thrush, Linnets, Grass Snakes, Common Toads, Smooth Newts, Marbled White butterfly, Holly Blue butterfly, Rhinoceros Beetle, dragonflies and bumblebees

Nothing astonishing, but still makes it seem worthwhile. This was just a single day in April. We have seen many other butterflies and insects other than that

We have a similarly semi-managed couple of acres where the bees are - old grazing pasture where we have planted fruit & native trees and not done much else. Last year the local council did a survey so they could call it a site with "wildlife value", as a bit of protection against planning. They found 95 species of flora and, on the land or nearby...

Muntjac, Fox, Badger four species of bats, Field Voles. Hedgehogs, Barn Owls, Red Kite, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Kestrel, Tawny Owl, Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Song Thrush, Dunnock, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Long-tailed Tit, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Bullfinch, Mistle Thrush, Starling, House Sparrow, Song Thrush, Linnets, Grass Snakes, Common Toads, Smooth Newts, Marbled White butterfly, Holly Blue butterfly, Rhinoceros Beetle, dragonflies and bumblebees

Nothing astonishing, but still makes it seem worthwhile. This was just a single day in April. We have seen many other butterflies and insects other than that
Wonderful! Thanks for sharing.
We have many of the species you've listed, the highlights for me last year were the song thrushes nesting in the garden, the young barn owl that flew into our bathroom when the window was open and over 40 species of wildflowers in our meadow, now in it's ninth year. Nothing lifts the soul as high as the sounds and sights of wildlife :)

Stan put up a barn owl box and since we have had 7 chicks raised over 3 years. The winter of 2020/21 was so wet for so long the owls couldn’t feed and I suspect one of the pair perished. One owl returned to the box last spring, hung around calling for a few days then disappeared.
I miss them. We used to sit outside in the garden on a summers eve watching them fly through the garden.
Ever hopeful for this year but nothing so far.
Tawnies are busy calling though and the box in the garden has been used the last five years.

This is what we get from the camera that covers the honey shelf. we get regular visits from foxes and badgers and occasionally a few dear come down the road and browse on the foliage. This was at about 5.30am in last summer.

My daughter gets a whole family of hedge hogs in her minute garden in Esher. Her and her husband sit and watch them come for food as they have drinks on their small patio. :giggle:

View attachment VIDEO-2021-07-09-18-27-49 (2).mp4

apart from the muntjac (although there may still be a bit left in the bottom of the freezer) and add a few more species it sounds like our back garden 😁

No deer around here......just sheep and cows
Did you see Countryfile last weekend they were saying how all species of deer since covid and lockdowns had increased in numbers can't remember the figures, I was also shocked to see how much damage they can do to woodland in numbers and unmanaged.

Did you see Countryfile last weekend they were saying how all species of deer since covid and lockdowns had increased in numbers can't remember the figures, I was also shocked to see how much damage they can do to woodland in numbers and unmanaged.
Yes I did. I was that impressed I ordered a Deer box from the chef. Lovely. I can’t face eating farmed Bambi but wild deer shot in the countryside for some reason I can live with

Latest posts

Back