What’s this plant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? - I didn't know that. Have you any more detail?

Think there was something in the literature, when I read up on it a couple of years ago. I got very excited about it as an alternative to metaldehyde initially. It's not as bad (need to ingest much higher amount) but still a risk. Toxicity is unsurprisingly caused by an iron overdose.

Think there was something in the literature, when I read up on it a couple of years ago. I got very excited about it as an alternative to metaldehyde initially. It's not as bad (need to ingest much higher amount) but still a risk. Toxicity is unsurprisingly caused by an iron overdose.
Far better to use Naematodes ... don't harm anything apart from the slugs ...

https://www.nematodesdirect.co.uk/6-nemaslug

Didn't use any last year as we have a hedgehog and didn't want to risk it. Definitely gardened more wildlife friendly since we have had our bees. Left the caterpillars chomp through the nasturtiums, encouraged nettles, only in one area of the garden mind. Four bug hotels went up and we left a mound of stacked sticks and leaves etc at the base of our sycamore tree.Along with wildlife flower borders and not using slug pellets or spray weedkiller we Definitely saw an increase in little critters. 🐞🕷🪳🐜🪲🦗😍

Didn't use any last year as we have a hedgehog and didn't want to risk it. Definitely gardened more wildlife friendly since we have had our bees. Left the caterpillars chomp through the nasturtiums, encouraged nettles, only in one area of the garden mind. Four bug hotels went up and we left a mound of stacked sticks and leaves etc at the base of our sycamore tree.Along with wildlife flower borders and not using slug pellets or spray weedkiller we Definitely saw an increase in little critters. 🐞🕷🪳🐜🪲🦗😍
I’ve got a log pile next to the compost bins. Our newts hide in it along with some toads. Have failed to attract a hedgehog despite putting in access points under the fences though.

Can't remember which ones I use to have but we lost a chicken to slug pellets not a nice site to see.
@Nannysbees like you my whole gardening has changed somewhat since I've kept bees, it definitely changes a person being a beekeeper.

I’ve got a log pile next to the compost bins. Our newts hide in it along with some toads. Have failed to attract a hedgehog despite putting in access points under the fences though.

We had a grass snake lay eggs actually in our compost bin a couple of years ago. I only found out when I discovered the empty egg cases when I emptied the bin in the winter.

grass-snake-eggs.jpg

I guess the snake liked the warmth generated by the compost.

I've not seen nor heard hedgehogs for many years though. There must be plenty of food for them, but I assume something else has put them off living here.

James

We get a lot of hedgehogs in our garden, which is surprising considering its urban location.

I have seen them often sniffing about below my hives, not sure what they are after.

I have made sure there are access gaps to all the gardens that border mine.

I know next door but one feeds them all summer long and has also made access gaps.

My miss insists on using 100s of nasty slug pellets. She does not like the ones that wash away in the rain so uses the nasty ones. I always worry about the hedgehogs eating poisoned slugs.

Luckily they have stopped selling the relay nasty ones, so I just have to wait for her stash to run out.

I have suggested every alternative to her, but she just wont listen. So its very comforting to see others share my concern about them.

I just cannot stand the way they look too, nasty blue specks everywhere.

Sorry Etton, no idea what the plant is. But there are apps you can get on your phone that you point at a leaf and it identifies the plant for you.

Talking of hedgehogs we have a hedgehog preservation association near where we live The British Hedgehog Preservation Society
We also spend alot of time in the autumn going out for walks at night to spot them, also under one of the pallets in one of the sheds they hibernate very regularly.

We have a relatively cheap outdoor camera which is fab. I love playing it back the next morning to see what's been roaming the night before. Lovely to see the hedgehog plodding down the path.

Latest posts

Back