Wet Supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HebeGeeBees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long should it take bees to clean a wet super? I don't want to leave it on for too long in case they start refilling but I don't want to go back into the hive earlier than necessary.

Would putting the super above the crown board ensure that they clean it out but aren't tempted to refill it?

Ian

How long should it take bees to clean a wet super? I don't want to leave it on for too long in case they start refilling but I don't want to go back into the hive earlier than necessary.

Either before or after treating a colony but normally I go by the rule of 2 days per super for a reasonable sized colony but it shouldn't matter to much if longer if the flow is over.

Thanks Mike. Will take it off tomorrow then (if weather allows). We still have a fair bit of flow here - my neighbours herb field and the Himalayan Balsam are still blooming.

Thanks Mike. Will take it off tomorrow then (if weather allows). We still have a fair bit of flow here - my neighbours herb field and the Himalayan Balsam are still blooming.

If you still have a flow leave them on until the end of August and then see if they are still bring in more nectar. Only remove them if they are full and capped.

I am just starting treatment for Varroa so won't be able to harvest anything new that they bring in and there is a half-full super that they can add to that is still on and which I hope they will move to the brood box, when the queen decides to stop filling it with brood. Am thinking that when there is space in the BB that I will need to score the capped stores in the super to encourage the bees to bring it down?

Am a completely new beek so am really feeling my way here.

Thanks for the helpful comments and support.

ps Mosquito. I did put the wet super above a crown board and would have put an empty super between but I haven't got enough equipment. Why is it that I choose hobbies that are equipment greedy? I thought that this would be cheap compared with windsurfing but I think not! At least one day I could sell my honey for a bit of compensation. You can't sell an adrenalin rush!

How about extract, and store wet supers away until next spring.

I put my wet super above the crown board and a empty super.

I extracted 2 supers on Saturday (hurrah- first crop!) then put the supers back above the crown board- didn't know about an empty super. Peeped in this evening, lots of activity- is there a possibility that they are filling not emptying? PS there is a jsut started super below the crownboard I havent touched.

I always remove all supers before starting varroa treatments, that guarantees no contamination of next years honey crop and as HM says store them wet, bees move straight into them next year, if you do not have a massive number of supers wrap in commecial cling film to keep the wax moth out, just my system, its what works for you.

Stored mine wet last year with no probs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
I allway leave a super on.
With the Q/E removed.

I allways find they eat all the stores in the super 1st.
Pluss I think my bees are half italian bees, so eat more in the winter.

could not eat any stores from an empty super could they Mos.

Last edited:
extracted then placed in bin bag sealed with tape.

Latest posts

Back