Wet Supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some store them wet, for those that don't, until they are dry, about 3 days if well spun

How long would you leave wet supers on ?
All you need to know about storing wet supers in case you should contemplate it from that great welshman Wally Shaw.
What to do with Wet Supers
These should be returned to the hives for cleaning and placed above the cover board (with ventilation holes open of course). It is good practice to clean boxes in the same apiary from which they came as this reduces the possible spread of diseases. If brood disease is a current or recent problem then boxes should be returned to
the exact hive from which they were removed. The ‘cleaner’ boxes should only be
put on the hives around dusk preferably on a cool evening. Whereas feeding sugar syrup presents few problems, the smell of exposed honey drives bees into a frenzy of robbing if you are not careful. Two days is quite long enough and if the ‘cleaner’ boxes are removed early in the morning (before the bees have started flying) they will usually be completely free of bees.
Some beekeepers advocate storing combs wet to avoid damage by wax moth but I have no experience of this practice. The boxes would need to be very securely sealed to avoid the attention of bees and wasps. The combs can look pretty awful when they are brought out of storage next spring but the bees will quickly clean them for re-use.
Unquote

I bet he doesn’t take as much exception as you do? 😉
I wouldn't mind if he was, but he hasn't forgotten his roots - has family there still (I cannot remember at the moment where he's from) and visits pretty regularly.
He and Jenny came to Wales to work at Bangor university Marine department which is how they ended up on Ynys Mon

I don’t quite know what “notched up” means but I’m strangely grateful I’m not one

..)......yes, "notched up"...it could sound a bit dodgy. Sorry for assuming the nationality of super-moderator you are. Same with me...country of habitation doesn't mean country of birth. :)

tried storing wet once and had this : "The combs can look pretty awful when they are brought out of storage next spring but the bees will quickly clean them for re-use."
they cleaned up the cells but was left with some moldy bits around the edges of the frame which wasn't ideal so have gone back to storing dry. Any pollen in the supers can also turn into a smelly lump of mold that you have to scrape out

tried storing wet once and had this : "The combs can look pretty awful when they are brought out of storage next spring but the bees will quickly clean them for re-use."
they cleaned up the cells but was left with some moldy bits around the edges of the frame which wasn't ideal so have gone back to storing dry. Any pollen in the supers can also turn into a smelly lump of mold that you have to scrape out
Not in my experience
Pollen mites get at the pollen which becomes a powder and easily tips out with a sharp tap of the frame.
Never had mould either.

Never had frames go mouldy through storing wet and they look the same as they did when I extracted. The stack of supers should be kept sheltered of course, not open to the elements.

Latest posts

Back