Wet roofs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bwthynbach

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Has anybody experienced the roof sheet under the metal sheet getting absolutely sodden. It’s happened to 2 of my National hives this year, both have Thornes shallow roofs, the metal is intact and the wood work is sound. Is it just the amount of rain we have had this winter ????

Has anybody experienced the roof sheet under the metal sheet getting absolutely sodden. It’s happened to 2 of my National hives this year, both have Thornes shallow roofs, the metal is intact and the wood work is sound. Is it just the amount of rain we have had this winter ????

Many moons ago. In my case it was the nails that fixed the metal part of the roof that were allowing water through. Sealed them with silicon and problem solved.

Water sometimes creeps through the folds at the corners then soaks into the edge of the OBS board. I had a couple show damp patches this year due to the persistent rain!

I've had the same in the past and gave up trying to find out how it was happening, I had old, rickety roofs that were dry. I replaced all my roofs with abelo poly ones.

Thanks for the quick responses, sealing the metal to the timber will probably do it, thanks for the info. I am going to remake the roofs and replace the OSB with ply, may increase the weight but is less likely to absorb the water.
Incidentally there was no insulation which removes the possibility of condensation being the cause.

Incidentally there was no insulation which removes the possibility of condensation being the cause.

Au Contraire
Insulation prevents condensation

I presume the crown board holes are closed so insulation is neither here nor there, anyway

When you make your new roofs try a square of 50mm thick PIR glued into them.

I, like Swarm, have replaced all my wood roofs with Abelo’s deeper poly ones.

Thanks for the quick responses, sealing the metal to the timber will probably do it, thanks for the info. I am going to remake the roofs and replace the OSB with ply, may increase the weight but is less likely to absorb the water.

Warm moist air on the inside. Cold air on the outside. That makes condensation likely on the inside where warm meets cold.ie the underside of the metal roof. Makes the wood wet. That's how I understand it anyway!
E

Have you covered the holes in your crownboards?
Have you blocked off those silly little vents in the roofs?
Insulate.
Stop listening to the idiots in the 'keep 'em cold keep 'em keen' brigade

We are in 2020. No insulation?

When is this penny going to arrive?

It's just thirty years.

PH

I am going to remake the roofs and replace the OSB with ply, may increase the weight but is less likely to absorb the water.
Doubtful, repaired loads of ply roofs last year, the ply seemed to have absorbed water like a sponge, a few had OSB tops under the metal and they were fine

I've had the same in the past and gave up trying to find out how it was happening, I had old, rickety roofs that were dry. I replaced all my roofs with abelo poly ones.
I wish i could afford to, they're the best roofs I've seen, very warm and dry.

Warm moist air on the inside. Cold air on the outside. That makes condensation likely on the inside where warm meets cold.ie the underside of the metal roof. Makes the wood wet. That's how I understand it anyway!
E

Only if you leave the feeder holes open and surely no fool does that?

Not sure why companies use cheap OSB in the roofs after all it is a very important part of the hive..i bought three cheap hives from ebay and one from T's five years ago..the cheap roofs are made totally from ceder i will let you guess what T's use..:rolleyes:..not that it matters though as the ceder hives are stuck in the garage 90% of the year and only brought out if i run out of Abelo poly boxes and roofs.

I paint all my hives to weatherproof them, but I found one of the hives very damp. Problem was, the crownboard had not been painted and was wicking in the prodigious amount of rain we have been experiencing. All crownboards now painted around the edges top and bottom.
Have just binned a roof made from ply, they are as much use as a tin covered sponge, weighed a ton.
Now bought a couple of Abelo hives at Beetradex which will not suffer the problem.

Last edited:
I paint all my hives to weatherproof them, but I found one of the hives very damp. Problem was, the crownboard had not been painted and was wicking in the prodigious amount of rain we have been experiencing. All crownboards now painted around the edges top and bottom.
Have just binned a roof made from ply, they are as much use as a tin covered sponge, weighed a ton.
Now bought a couple of Abelo hives at Beetradex which will not suffer the problem.

I can guarantee you will not suffer any damp issues with the Abelo crown boards and roofs or any other problems for that matter with the full hives..i do not need dummy boards any more either as eleven frames fit nice and snug in the brood boxes..

Latest posts

Back