Wet Floor under Varroa Mesh

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weeze

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello,
We have 1 National Hive with a Mesh Floor and a removable blue floor underneath it.
Yesterday when we took it our to take to complete a check for Varroa it was wet.
Our bees are very active bringing in lots of pollen and nectar.. our last check was about about 1 month ago and there was new brood visible.

Should we be worried about the wet Floor?

Last edited:
i would just leave the blue floor off and let some air round them,they should be fine.
Darren

You need not worry about wet. When warm hive air and cold floor meet, condensation happens.
If you keep the hive a little bi slanting position, water drills out.

Sometimes rainwater goes onto floor.

Insulate above the CB and leave the OMF open.

Insulate above the CB and leave the OMF open.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: Though I don't insulate anywhere unless it's a growing colony that is nuc-ish size in a full size BB and I never leave the varroa floor in as some ventilation is essential to avoid mould due to damp. I may think again about insulation, as the forecast for this winter is very severe. Sounds about right as the gulfstream has been moving southwards and that is why we had such poor weather conditions this last summer. The same may be the case this winter - freezing winds from the north.

Latest posts

Back