Wet extracted frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShinySideUp

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
None, ex-beekeeper
I have read a couple of threads on here about what to do with supers after they have been extracted but I'm still a bit grey on the matter.

I have an aversion to just storing the frames from which I have extracted honey as in my mind I just think wet = mould. I know it's honey not water but nevertheless...

I don't want them reused this year so I was wondering if I put the wet supers above the crown board would they clean them up without using them or am I just being unreasonably hopeful here?

Nothing wrong with storing frames wet, I've always done it. I give them a spray of certan and then they are stacked in the shed with a piece of wood on top and below. If mould does occasionally grow the bees will clean it up no problem. The advantage of storing frames wet is it adds some structural support for the wax. Dry frames stored over the winter are more brittle and prone to damage when putting into the hives.

Nothing wrong with storing frames wet, I've always done it. I give them a spray of certan and then they are stacked in the shed with a piece of wood on top and below. If mould does occasionally grow the bees will clean it up no problem. The advantage of storing frames wet is it adds some structural support for the wax. Dry frames stored over the winter are more brittle and prone to damage when putting into the hives.

so wet means ... extract the honey ..get bees to clean them up for a day or so
... and any wetness is a stickiness of left over honey ?

is that right ?

is that right ?

I don't give the frames back to the bees at all... Just leave the remnants of the honey on the comb. It will dry somewhat and make the combs more rigid. If some combs have an excess of honey left in them it may ferment slightly but again no problem for bees the next year, they clean them up. I'm in favour of not making work for yourself is all, if there's no need to clean up the frames then why bother lugging supers onto and off of hives. Additionally comb with honey on provides some measure of protection against wax moth.

I put an empty super above the colony, then a board with a small hole drilled in it, then the wet supers. For some reason the bees will think they've found a wonderful source of honey and clear it out. If I put the wet supers straight back on top of the colony, with no intermediate empty super they just start refilling them.

is that right ?

No, extract, don't give back to the bees, stack them up, seal them off, leave in a cold place over winter

I was told the same as above on my beginners course. .... if you put them above the crown board and cover the porta bee escape holes ( minus the escapes) to about 1.5 bee size they think it's not their honey and take it down into the brood box...

I was told the same as above on my beginners course. .... if you put them above the crown board and cover the porta bee escape holes ( minus the escapes) to about 1.5 bee size they think it's not their honey and take it down into the brood box...

But what's the point?

But what's the point?

guess it sounds like two schools of thought then depending on who you follow

store them wet (just extract then wrap and keep them outside in the cold/rain as per jenkinsbrynmair and a few others

but then wet wales might be perfect for that ! (said an old Herefordian)

OR

store the supers dry

(extract, then let the bees tidy up the frames in an eke then store them dry)

(as advised by a few others and by my offline mentor)

As an indecisive libran myself I am tempted to do a bit of both !

store the supers dry

(as advised by a few others and by my offline mentor)
Did the dinosaurs also explain to you that one of the reasons for storing wet is that the combs are a lot less attractive to wax moth?

cos its honey you cant extract and it means you have to feed them less. No effort involved.
e

No effort? that's a moot point - cart them to the hives, put them over a crown board with a hole in, hope the bees don't store in them (and they will if they find forage) hope they don't cause mayhem, then go back, take them off and
still have to find a place to store them AND (unless you think a thimbleful of honey is enough to last the colony all winter) still feed them.

Did the dinosaurs also explain to you that one of the reasons for storing wet is that the combs are a lot less attractive to wax moth?

No effort? that's a moot point - cart them to the hives, put them over a crown board with a hole in, hope the bees don't store in them (and they will if they find forage) hope they don't cause mayhem, then go back, take them off and
still have to find a place to store them AND (unless you think a thimbleful of honey is enough to last the colony all winter) still feed them.

:iagree:
Even if the bees do as you would like and clean them up, it's a load of extra faff. Maybe sounds good if you have a couple of hives in the garden, must admit I never returned wet supers even then. I move enough boxes each season, moving them for no good reason is extra work I can do without.
And..
The idea is not to stick them outside in the wind and rain but find a place that's sheltered from the elements and to also make sure they are tightly sealed. I'm sure JBM would agree there is no growth of mould either.

Not saying anything is right or wrong. Horses for courses.
E

The idea is not to stick them outside in the wind and rain but find a place that's sheltered from the elements and to also make sure they are tightly sealed. I'm sure JBM would agree there is no growth of mould either.

Mine are in an open sided shelter - stacked with a spare roof on top would also suffice.
Swarm's right - no mould, none at all.

Agree with JBM. I've extended the shed roof on one side by 10-12 foot and built a pallet platform under it. Supers sit stacked all winter with a national sized piece of twinwall top and bottom and half a paving slab in case it gets windy - no mould no waxmoth

Mine are stored wet too
Cold shed at bottom of the garden.
I put a Paynes plastic crown board every four supers.
Bees are up into them like a shot the following season

Think I'll store them wet then, certainly seems like a lot less messing about.

I'm with you after asking a similar question in another thread. I was concerned about both wax moths and mould, but you guys have given eased my mind - thanks.:thanks:

Latest posts

Back